Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Dumaguete City named best place to retire in Philippines for 2018 ....

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I think road infrastructure is a difficult one to "keep up with" as it often demands large tracts of land already owned and/or occupied. I think it would be great to see the Boulevard entirely traffic free but how do you get traffic around it? Well, maybe by building a by-pass out at sea but that is costly and would ruin the view. I can't see anything within the downtown area as possible because it is already choked with traffic.

Reading posts from those who lived here a long time gives a real view to newcomers of what this area was like (e.g barangay road to Valencia) and how much it has changed in a relatively short period of time. Extrapolate that to another 10 or 20 years and will it still be a 'haven'.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Maybe I read to many "opinions" to separate "opinions" and facts. Generally, I feel too many people are negative in the way they look at life, not sure it's an expat "things" in the Philippines, maybe it's a western thing, lol. When I look at the poor Filipinos and their happiness there's a big contrast to the way we western look at life. I don't have the answer why it is that way, I still wonder and enjoy the Philippine culture/way of life, important reason that I still live here in the Philippines. I don't like pollution, so I live in a place with fresh air, just to the sea, I will try to avoid noise, special from traffic, so I find a place with only a little traffic and that's my point, find what you like and enjoy it. I really like to go city shopping and have fun sometimes, the pollution and noise are okay for a few days, my focus is on other "things", of course, I see the "sh*t" in the streets and hear the traffic noise everywhere but my focus is not there. I do not want to generalize, just point to a trend I see that many expats are negative about life in the Philippines. Of course, there is a need for improvements, we must only recognize the reality that we live in a 3. world country

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    As I was doing a research about the Traffic in Davao City. One person was telling me that the traffic is OK there. Another person was telling me that the traffic is terrible there. Ooook what is now correct? Probably it depends where they live in the city and to where they want to go.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I wonder what were they using for their search criteria?
    retirementPhilippinesChina.PNG retirementPhilippinesMexico.PNG retirementPhilippinesUK.PNG retirementPhilippinesUS.PNG retirementPhilippinesColumbia.PNG retirementPhilippinesPanama.PNG retirementPhilippinesKorea.PNG

If you put "retirement" before the country name you get a lot of countries that have more search queries. (There were far fewer searches for all the countries if you put "retirement" after the country name. Same for a "retire in x" search.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    A valid opinion. I think it more UNFAIR that Filipinos are unlikely to ever get the chance to see a foreign country, let alone live in one. If they do get to see one it is likely one of the South East Asian countries and if they make it to the land of milk and honey I can't blame them for thinking the country is so rich that they can have their share just for making it that far. Alternatively, foreigners can go anywhere they want and, meh, just another country. Send the pension here, please.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I think it would be far BETTER if we had a choice BUT I am not sure we can call it UNFAIR that we do not - I say this because it is not our country and they can do as they please (be it classed unfair or not) and we then have the option to move elsewhere.

I think it more UNFAIR that Filipinos have rights in foreign countries which foreigners do not have here - but that is the fault of the foreign governments.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The one with the big crane and is closed, Think the road is Real street! National highway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    When I take the article above and read between the lines, I'll get these:
    1. Expect that the real estate prices will be increasing even more.
    2. Expect even more traffic mess in the city.
    3. Expect that there will be more bad residentals and tourists coming to Dumaguete and surrounding areas.
    4. Expect even more loss in service qualities and availabilities of stuff.
    There are better cities or areas on the Philippines than Dumaguete, but it is still in the upper third of all cities or areas.
    Bad with Dumagute is, that there is nearly no advancement in the city. It is even worse, it looks even that the city is degrading slowly.

When I compare Dumaguete with Ormoc City, the latter is quite improving and advancing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  9. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    My home-to-be is up the mountain in Sagbang. I will be long dead by the time Sagbang gets engorged by the "hugely-enlarged" part of Valencia.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Been on that dobdob road twice now,once in the pickup. (Never again) and once on the bike which was sort of ok but still risky. Last time i tried there was a new concrete section but after that rock and steep so gave up. Still there a few spots up there with amazing views

• Informative Informative x 2