Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete City to discipline unruly foreigners.

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Ozguy17, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Ozguy17

Ozguy17 Ring Ring. Who's calling?

Ratings:
    +75 / 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I can find no fault in what the article is saying. Many times I hear foreigners say that they drive like, park like or act like the locals but I do not think it right to act like locals who are doing wrong things.

If we, foreigners, want to use the local people as our examples and do as they do then we should pick the best examples of moral, upstanding, Philippine citizens in Dumaguete and try to emulate them. Not try to follow the example of idiots and be idiots just like them.

The low lifes will ruin it for those of us who enjoy being treated well here.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  3. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    from the article:
    "Councilor Cordova stressed that a strong message must be sent to all foreign nationals in the City of Gentle People, that since they are guests here, they must always abide by the rules and must not behave like royalty."

I understand why the people here feel this way. When Filipinos work abroad some countries treat them like crap and they will not tolerate that treatment in their own back yard.

"a strong message must be sent to all foreign nationals" So this will be the result of a few bad actors. Some people have no clue about the culture in this country so I will give you a hint. Arrogance is about the biggest "crime" you can commit. The locals dislike it when it comes from a fellow countryman and hate it when it comes from a guest.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136

Quote <He noted that when Filipinos go abroad, they would try their best to behave and comply with laws of the foreign country.>
    So, what about this:
    130 Filipinos in death row overseas, nearly 4,000 in jail - Recto | ABS ...

news.abs-cbn.com › Focus
    Sep 19, 2017 - The report bears some silver lining as it cited some 1,181 Filipinos who may be soon be out of jail and are awaiting deportation. DRUG OFFENSES TOP THE LIST. The report revealed that illegal drugs were the most common reason why Filipinos got in legal trouble abroad, with 2,265 recorded cases, ...

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous DI Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 12
    So what about this? Well that sounds like me as a child whining to my mother; " But all the other kids are doing it". It never was a valid excuse for bad behaviour, at least not where I grew up.

Lumping all foreigners together because of a few is not valid reasoning but the logic doesn't matter. What does matter is what the locals thing of us as a group.

My experience with Filipinos in my home country is that they seldom get into any trouble and there are about 700,000 living thee. I think the statement is generally true.

Regardless of what Pinoys do abroad is not an excuse for what some foreigners do in their host country.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Normally I have to pay to be disciplined. This is great news. I wonder if they will give us a choice of ‘uniforms’ to be disciplined by. French maid, Policewoman, Strict Teacher...ooppps....posting on the wrong forum again. My bad. :wacky:

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't feel guilty, because another expat act stupid, like I don't say all filipino are racist, because a few are. I keep distance to foreigner with bad behavior. A few times I told another expat, take a deep breath, and get oxygen to your brain, we are guest here, no matter how many years we have lived here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    OK, I'm wrong. Yes I can find fault. Its been working on me. The whole article revolves around a picture of:

"A Swedish man takes a drink while being questioned about kicking a dog"

What has been bothering me is that a local filipino would very, very, very often take a drink then hop onto his motorcycle or into his car and run over a dog without a thought.

How is that more acceptable than taking a drink, on a street with back to back resto-bars selling alcohol, and kicking a mongrel whose owner lets him wander freely on the street?

It may not be the right thing to do, and the rest of the article makes some valid points, but they did not start on the moral high ground with that picture and explanation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    I'm starting to believe that 'dog kicker' story is here to stay - never to go away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Been around for decades

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1