Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete City to discipline unruly foreigners.

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Ozguy17, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Wild dogs is a problem human race created, so we solves the problem with throw boiling water at them, are you serious ? Have you seen how the suffer ? Of course, it's not okay kick a dog in a leash, but it's f*cking inhuman throw boiling water at anything alive, period.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Well I wasn’t really referring to lovesick or sexually deprived elderly men who still think they are guapo but who in reality look like wrinkled-up old hippies with long grey hair, yellow teeth and beer breath and who cant get old gracefully. Pretty young girls don’t really want such people in their lives and probably could not love them although they could pretend to if the $ was right. No, this used to be a much poorer place than it is today. Thirty years ago I was here on visits, having them ask me for penpals (I was married to a Filipina) but with single American friends, seeing it obvious that, given a choice, they would marry someone their own age who speaks their own language and shares the same culture. But back then, many were so poor that they went after the Americans for the money. And, it wasn’t a bad thing as long as both were honest. Now the country is wealthier, much wealthier really. The Asian prosperity has finally arrived here. Now the women are probably more like their 1st generation fil-am counterparts, already in America, already wealthy and certainly not interested in some dirty old man who thinks he is still guapo haha. With money, they can afford to be independent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    if someone sh...ts in my garden I punish him and kick him out. thats why I understand and support the attitude of the local Filipino people here. a guest should follow the written and unwritten rules of his guest country. traffic violations is one thing and might be discussable, but abuse of women, minors, alcohol excesses in public etc is a no go - everyone of us knows some kind of these lunatics and nobody will miss them when they get deported. they ruin the reputation of all of us.
    just one remark to the article in the chronicle. it starts with "government closes boracay" and this has nothing to do with rude behaviour of foreigners. it's about non-existing waste water management and illegal constructions in the environmental protection area. I just wish the local government would take the right actions in these issues here also.
    because, all in all, everybody should have to follow the law, in all sections.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I find that a uniquely filipino perspective. In the countries all of us foreigners come from, the "guests" or people on tourist visas, need only follow the written laws. So its informative to know that here we have to follow the written laws AND the rules that local people make up for us to follow. Is that why its more fun in Philippines?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Ozguy17

Ozguy17 Ring Ring. Who's calling?

Ratings:
    +75 / 2
  6. DiverTim

DiverTim DI Member

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +125 / 11
    Just don't give the authorities to reason to think bad of us. Persons who travel here, should be seen to be trustworthy and with manners (Good Ones)!

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Good post.
    Yes, it is the job of the BI. But if other gov officials want to assist, seems like an OK idea to me.
    Weed out the bad = cuts down on the chance of the rest of us getting a bad name by association (as in same nationality).
    And maybe someday, the word will get out globally, 'jerks stay home or go somewhere else'.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Interesting post. Why issues with the over 40 Filipino crowd? They seem polite/kind etc.
    Also, your comment about LOTS of old guys hitting on girls...
    I don't think they perceive themselves as 'super guapo'. Could be they are just responding to a kind smile in a giddy sort of way. Yes, giddy (as my wife likes to call it). As in pleasantly surprized - where as back home they would be called a creep just for saying; 'nice weather today' to a young lady in a line to get a coffee. We often hear the phrase 'dirty old man', but never 'dirty young man'. Why not? I think it's the young guys who, far more often, can't control their libido. And I dare to guess that some of these old gents chatting up with the girls are behaving as gentlemen. Some not, of course. Is it very common, dunno. I'm sure it is in the night clubs. I never go to them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  9. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    if my opinion is a "uniquely filipino perspective", it's because I am a guest here and I try to understand my filipino hosts. every country in the world has written and unwritten laws, f.e. in Thailand you don't walk into your hosts house with street shoes. you will not get punished by law if you do so, but you will loose your face, like they say, means the people loose respect for you because you show no respect to them. this is exactly the mistake that many foreigners; short time visitors and long term expats do: they show no respect for this country. many lunatics with problems in their home country think they can do here what they want - they don't know the language of the philippines / visayas, they don't know anything about history, traditions, laws and culture of the filipinos and they don't want to know anything about it - I simply hate this attitude, specially when such people settle down here. f.e.; parking is not allowed anymore at the highway, so what's the problem? accept it and park somewhere else - it's a law and there is enough parking space anywhere here. if you cannot accept that, you are arrogant - and this is what filipinos don't like at all, and that's what the discussion is about: arrogant foreigners with this superior attitude. maybe, just my theorie; after centuries beeing occupied by foreign forces, they just don't want to get taught by foreigners anymore what to do and what not to do - they want to be respected for that what they are: filipinos. and, friendly and tolerant people as they are; they do not want to accept rude behaviour anymore. yes, I accept that 100%.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    You have made a lot of statements that I tend to agree with on the face of it. I do not believe that the small subset of arrogant foreigners here is any better or worse than the small subset of arrogant Filipino foreigners in the USA, many of whom never took their shoes off when entering our house, despite our big sign, much to the chagrin of my asawa . So she was a guest of the USA until she became US citizen. Hey, I know very well the Filipino guest culture in the USA. As with foreigners here, 99% of them are great to be with although most prefer their own culture and language over the USA. Sound familiar? As in, perhaps foreigners here too are the same way?
    So, as promised more than 30 years ago, I am now the guest in the Philippines and she is the native. Between the two of us, out net contribution to both countries whether it be money or ideas is by far a net positive.

Now, the thing I don’t like reading is this stuff about colonial subjugation by other countries when the other country includes the US. There are two types of countries who colonized: Hostile, arrogant and Selfish...talking about Spain here, and generous, friendly counties who after 400 years of wasted Spanish rule, President Taft unwittingly received the Philippines and Cuba as spoils of the Spanish American war. When that happened, America who was once a colony itself felt uncomfortable and did not like the prospect of being a colonizer, early in the 20th century. We still don’t like it. We want Puerto Rico to go independent. Americans have hardly ever heard of Saipan, Guam and other “ possessions”. Yet, America could not just immediately grant independence to the Philippines at the time because it had no defense force, no legal infrastructure, no roads, no education system, nothing. The Spanish left them nothing. In truth, immediately after the USA took over we began building roads, we exported teachers to the Philippines and set up a school system that is still great to this day, we created a business structure and we set up a colonial government infrastructure that could easily be transferred to an independent Philippines, all this taking place over only 37 years, when America figured the Philippines could handle their own nation on the world stage circa 1935. We were a colonial power without raping any natural resources but instead encouraging the export of copra for munitions, sugar, cooking oils and so on from land owned by Filipinos, not land seized by Americans. Too bad WWII came along and a HOSTILE colonizer came in and raped the country of resources and literally the women , took married and unmarried women as servants and sex slaves & the damage persists to this day. They killed, subjugated and were racist towards their subjects. And yes, the Filipinos drove out the HOSTILE colonizer but only with USA help. So when I see inferences as to how the Stars and Stripes was an arrogant nasty colonial power who made life unbearable for the people here, I request that we be careful to put the US role in context. In spite of our bases being closed down by the Philippines legislature in 1992, where the best harbor in Asia (better than HongKong) went to waste, the America and the Filipinos continue to be good friends except that China is now filling the vacuum of our neglected relationship. Hope they can trust China. We have little experience in this as it is the first time China tried to expand it sovereignty and it will be at a Philippine expense, I fear. There is a very good book about this period called “In our Image”. No, we weren’t saints but we were probably the best country to take over at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1