Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete City to discipline unruly foreigners.

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Ozguy17, Mar 10, 2018.

1. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    It's been a few years since the Chronicle published Yap's "ugly foreigner" article, so it's nice to see that xenophobia is still alive and well in the City of Gentle People. (even my wife laughs when she hears that)

2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Not disagreeing that both sides have individuals that behave badly. However, bad behavior by one group should not be used as justification/rationalization for bad behavior by another group. It happens far to often, IMHO. As mom always said, two wrongs do not make a right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    So It is OK for foreign guests to disrespect America. Just look the other way. Correct? But isn’t that racist, as if you are saying they don’t know any better but “we” are sophisticated, educated by mom, and we should know better? That is the problem with this type of thinking. Btw, what about my fil-am kids? Any special privileges for them? And my asawa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Wow......I didn't say anything along the lines of what you are inferring. There is nothing in my comments about it being ok to disrespect America or be a racist. That is wrong, but does not make it right for the other party to reciprocate. Both parties are wrong. Essentially, what I said, is a wrong is a wrong, regardless of who does it and one persons transgressions do not make another persons transgressions good. If you disagree with that, that's fine. You seem to think an eye for an eye based on your comments. As for your wife and kids, they should live a good moral/ethical life and not copy people who don't. Hopefully, the privileges they get will be the ones they earn. As for the mom thing, that is just a saying, like two in the bush is worth one in the hand. I'm not sure my mother actually ever said that to me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    thanks for this post, man. I couldn't have brought it better to the point than you with your own words: "...we were probably the best country to take over..." - if we try to understand where the filipino xenophobia comes from; this is exactly the answer. I have serious doubts if the US "take over" is /was an act of unselfishly friendship. Building war harbors and army settlements for the benefit of the filipino people? hm. ask the guys in Chile, Iran (1953), Guatemala, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq etc what they think about US take over. Face it or not, there are more and more smart people who don't accept this philosophy of American Exceptionalism anymore. History speaks for itself. Coming back to my theory of the unwritten rules: Filipinos simply hate arrogant foreigners, and this is the best example why they feel so. My sympathy is with them. Greetings to my friends from US with a critical mind, who also do not support the official politics of the US government - they are all from California :-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Well stated, Sir. AND is accurate. World history is a major hobby / interest of mine - but you framed it better than I could have. Thank you for the time spent posting!

7. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Haha, tell you what “man”, it could not have been an act of unselfish friendship because nobody in America would have taken the burden of fixing the disaster that Spain created, if they had the choice. Certainly President Taft had no interest from the executive branch. When he was told that the USA was given the Philippines as the spoils of war, his reaction was “where in the hell is the Philippines?”. The President had never even heard of the place. And you think the US chose to take over? But the Americans, if you consider them selfish, we’re still decent people who fixed the place up before we let it go, just like you nurse a patient to health before you let him go out of the hospital. Arrogant? Just a word my friend. Your opinion. But I will say we all dislike arrogant anything including foreigners of any stripe in our own countries. But if that is your main premise then I cannot take that as a serious theory because it is based on emotion, not fact. The other counties you mention are not related to this discussion. Iran, Vietnam, Guatemala would never have been considered colonies. Nobody would have wanted them. We had already learned our lesson about being punished no matter how good the deed. Read up on the historical facts (not emotions) and get back to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    As an expat --- Personally, I think that a huge percentage more are good actor expats than bad. Unfortunately, it is the bad actors that get the spotlight. I try to drive sanely in the midst of the chaos, I stop for people crossing the street, when there is an unending line of cars and somebody is trying to make a turn - I stop and wave them through even though all the cars behind me start honking at me for being considerate, I only park where I should park, I support local business and I tip generously. The thing that bugs me is being referred to as "a guest". I guess the government could kick me out if they wanted to, but I have my permanent residency, I've purchased a substantial property, I have a wife and family from here, I contribute socially and to the economy, I treat everybody I meet with respect - I have chosen this place to be my home, and this is where I live - it bugs me as my button issue when I am told I don't really understand, and my opinions don't matter, and to be looked down on as being only just a guest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    double posted for some reason, but there is no delete option?

10. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    The jewel of the Orient, they called it, at the time of Independence. The wealthiest country in Southeast Asia (now considered to be in Oceania). Ah yes, arrogance