Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete City to discipline unruly foreigners.

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Ozguy17, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Pretty sure the governor of NO wears colors himself and organizes a massive ride every year. Many of those MCs also do charity work. MCs are NOT gangs. There is a reason why the bad ones are called 1%ers. They are a sh*t stain to the other 99% of MCs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Well getting back to the point:
    [​IMG]
    As of 5:30 this afternoon this guy, who started it all, was still sitting on the boulevard looking like an undesirable alien, but at least I did not see a drink in his hand. Musta finished it already.

Point is the article is all talk. No one is gonna do anything about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Now how could you possibly know it was the same guy? :rolleyes:

The guy is obviously oblivious to being shamed. If I had my picture posted all over social media for doing something as stupid as he did you wouldn't catch me anywhere near the spot I was caught doing said stupid thing for a very long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gord

gord DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer ✤✤Forum Sponsor✤✤ Forum Sponsor

businessman
    Ratings:
    +155 / 13
    I read the article a while back, and have also seen an increasing number of anti-foreigner sentiment from some of the locals. To be honest it is something that does bother me. Some of my thoughts:

1. those anti-foreigner sentiments come from a very small percentage of Filipinos, and it is my belief will have resentments against us regardless of what we do. The majority of Filipinos in the Dumaguete area are good people who also see the majority of foreigners as good people, regardless of the actions of a few bad apples. I tend to think that I should not paint all Filipinos with the same brush and hope for the same treatment from them.
    2. Filipinos in my country, and most other western countries are NOT treated badly. In fact a Filipino in Canada is treated far better than I am here in the Philippines. They are given rights such as the ability to own property, business and get jobs. They are given access to a social safety net that includes medical coverage, welfare and employment insurance. They come to my country , make money, send it home and help out their families. We afford them opportunities far beyond any in their home country. If they step out of line, and break the law, they are afforded the right of due process. There are many many more Filipinos in Canada, than us Canadians in The Philippines,(like most western countries) so any talk from anyone that they get a raw deal is crap.
    3. When a Filipino in my country is rude or disrespectful,,, and yes that happens, I and most of my countrymen do not target them as a group and tell them to go back to their country. Actually, if we were to do that, we would be socially castrated and vilified, if not face criminal charges. Though I am realistic enough to understand that I cannot expect to be treated the same way here in the Philippines as Filipinos are in my country, I sometimes want to suggest to the Filipinos who want to attack us foreigners here to think long and hard how they would want their friends and family members to be treated in my or other western countries country. And I can almost guarantee that each and everyone of these Filipinos who complain about foreigners probably have relatives or friends overseas.
    4. After seeing a blog article written by a foreigner about how Foreigners are rude and disrespectful, I cringed. To me this is simply the wrong thing to do. This is stirring the pot and fan the flames of that small group of locals who do harbor resentments towards foreigners. This was borne out by a Facebook post about a week after where a Filipina complained about a rude and disrespectful foreigner in Dunkin Donuts. eventually she admitted that she made the post partly because she had read the article the week earlier from the foreigner. Obviously it did stir the pot.
    5. Rudeness and disrespect happens all over the world, in every country, by locals and foreigners to those countries alike. Being an *sshole IS NOT related to race, nationality or any other "group" classification. There are Filipinos in the Philippines who are rude and disrespectful, as there are Canadians in Canada who are rude and disrespectful. Each and everyone who is rude and disrespectful should be treated as the specific *sshole in a specific circumstance that they act this way in. If a foreigner in Dumaguete is rude, disrespectful, or breaks a law, he should face the consequences to the full extend of that law. The same holds true for Filipinos in foreign country. What is wrong though is that good people should have to pay the price for the bad apples.
    Ok, All that is my emotional response, however the only thing that really matters is reality. I am living in a foreign country and there are some people in this country that will have resentments towards me, for reasons real or imagined. I do not have the power to change that, but what I do have the power to do is live my life in a way that I am proud of. That means being respectful of the locals, obeying the laws of the land , and giving back to the community in whatever ways I can. I have faith that the majority of the locals in this "City of Gentle People" will live up to their name and accept, appreciate and continue to welcome me. Should there come a day when the small people who harbor resentments towards me as a foreigner, grows to a poitn where I am uncomfortable, I will pack my bags and move with my family somewhere else. I believe that if it comes to that for me, then it will probably come to that for many other expats here, and then, sadly Dumaguete will be the loser, because most of us bring more to this region than we take.

Gord

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Genius Genius x 1
  5. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    How do we find our shirt or shorts sizes in Dumaguete? How do we cross the street without getting run over?

How can we instruct the grocery baggers to bag our overpriced imported groceries properly without offending them?

Why dont the locals wear motorcycle helmets?

How do we keep vehicle traffic in their own lane? Its worse than Naples...

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Newby questions. Learn to adapt.

7. OP
    OP
    Ozguy17

Ozguy17 Ring Ring. Who's calling?

Ratings:
    +75 / 2
    Do as the locals do. That’s all you can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    That my Friend is where the problem Starts, As you will learn:biggrin: Quickly:nailbiting:

9. mrossbach

mrossbach DI Junior Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    I have a home in Bacong.
    The only problem I have is the burning of garbage by neighors. Some times I have to leave my home when they burn plastic. I ask them to please not burn.
    They still do it. Why not put your garbage to the street for the trucks to pick up. There should be a law against burning garbage. All the children in my neighborhood are going to get lung disease from breathing the smoke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +247 / 138
    Magsalita visyan. Ngiti mahusay.