Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete City to discipline unruly foreigners.

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Ozguy17, Mar 10, 2018.

1. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    It is interesting. Place yourself in the US, replace “Philippines” with “America” and replace the word “expats” with”Mexicans”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    If they see him in the initial stage of house construction, they can infer that he has at least 100k cash to carry on. It's not like me, riding around on my little motorcycle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I personally believe that folks acting foolish in the Philippines (or any other country for that matter) should be considered undesirable if the situation warrants it and be treated accordingly.

I've spent 24 of my 48 years on this earth living and/or working outside of the US, some countries much more enjoyable than others, but I've learned if you don't get stupid (drink or temper) and treat people with respect you will get along fine most of the time. I think most people would agree that the Philippines has both it's good and bad points. I like to look at the positives but am well aware of the negatives.

I've had very few issues with either locals or expats. Some of that is we live in Tanjay where many people know my wife or her family and there aren't many expats and they tend to keep to themselves. The few expats that I do socialize with are established in the Philippines (either full time or part time), have solid relationships and keep to themselves. Concentrating on family and their home may seem boring to some compared to running the streets but those are the folks I prefer to deal with as we have the same mind set.

A thing I have noticed over the years, is that the folks that are most vocal seem to fall into 2 categories; disgruntled and complain for the sake of complaining and the one's that have on the "rose colored glasses" that think the Philippines is the perfect utopia and anyone that disagrees should "go home". Unfortunately it tends to be the same in most countries with expat communities.

I am only part time in the Philippines as I am not ready to retire for good yet, I still enjoy work and want things set up better when that day does come. I do call the Philippines home and it is where I want to spend retirement with the family, with all the good and bad that comes with it.

Shawn

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I believe one must be here full time and begin speaking the language to know the true character of the Philippines. I think it is good to socialize with expats and frankly most of them have a balanced perspective of life here, not thru a rose tinted lens. You will see, after you have been here for a while. A few months living here does not even create the long term relationship with the family that will happen, that you ultimately might not like very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. fritz

fritz DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +95 / 5
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Nobody is forced to stay in a country what he doesnt like - anyway which colour your sunglasses have!
    You can live here without the opinion of "perfect Utopia" - whatever that could be - with a realistic few of the circumstances in one of the poorest and less developement countries in the world and nevertheless like to live here, love the people and enjoy this kind of living, the good and the bad sides!
    Most Expats know very well why they leave their own countries, but a lot of them doesn't know what it really means living in a country like this and after a while they are missing a lot of circumstances of there home before (Food, Realtionships, law&order...) and they start to critisize what they miss and what they left before - short version: They really dont know what they want and they act like children, and I dont mean the foolish clothings what they wear!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wildlands1

Wildlands1 DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +133 / 27
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Maybe they will do something about that unruly German jerk who picks fights with and runs everybody off the road in his jacked up pick-up truck driving like a maniac? Multiple police "blotters" filed already on this guy.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Wear riding gloves and knock his mirror off. (Use an open hand and don't wear a watch while doing this.) He'll get tired of replacing it eventually.