Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete has zero covid for a month now

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Glendazumba, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    I'd like to add my vote to the "Dumaguete's been lucky" group. We seemed to have avoided the clusters that ran rampant in Cebu, Manila, i think even Bacolod got hit. Everybody (or enuf) that was infected got caught early, even quarantined. Masks/SocDis/Wash, hardly perfect, has worked well enough to prevent clusters. If we stop now, it easily can explode again. I have a feeling that once an area reaches a critical cluster, that cases shoot up.

And only an opinion, but i also believe that if the world had really stayed at home for 4 weeks, this thing would have been beaten quick and economies reopened.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    But it is correct that not everyone died - that would be a 100% fatality rate for a very contagious disease (untreated rabies is also 100% but it has limited spread) and the world would be gone by now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so dear GZ. may i offer a different perspective please. you and i are composed of about one hundred trillion cells. we are each host to around one hundred trillion (much smaller) bacteria and also to around one thousand trillion (even smaller) viruses. some bacteria live on our surface, some inside, some are symbiotic, some just want in out of the rain. a virus is sort of the transexual in this microsopic world (do they or don't they, can they or not)

we have all developed together over a million plus years. "modern" scientific medicine has existed barely more than a hundred years. can we really be so impressed with the human brain to think that after a million plus years we have developed the ability to understand nature and even more the ability to manipulate it?

i agree that we have learned to head off some threats for the benefit of that/those individual(s), but what does that have to do with the adaptive nature of our species? nothing except perhaps in some teeny tiny way to marginalize it a bit

go outside tonight and count the stars. each is a sun, many with their own planets. the biggest contribution of the hubble telescope was to quadruple the number of known stars. the universe just goes on and on. we are less than one virus on the body of the universe.

the apparent fact that so many people will submit their lives to the opinions of "scientist" dr fauci is as laughable to me as submitting to stumpy the pig farmer. its ludicris. if you want to vaccinate and try to live a little longer, fine. just remember that the universe does not even know you exist.

your own body is the miracle here. your body has processes to deal with bacteria and virus(es?) and yeast and falling trees. let it do its work. if i die its not a tragedy. someone else will replace my drivel here! collectively our adaptations provide the greatist protection for us all, and more importantly for the future of our species.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Ok, but you still don't know how many people had it without symptoms (and we still don't know).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Screenshot_20201002-060620.png
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

Infection Fatality Ratio (IFR): The number of individuals who die of the disease among all infected individuals (symptomatic and asymptomatic). This parameter is not necessarily equivalent to the number of reported deaths per reported case because many cases and deaths are never confirmed to be COVID-19, and there is a lag in time between when people are infected and when they die. This parameter also reflects the existing standard of care, which may vary by location and may be affected by the introduction of new therapeutics.

Pretty scary stuff. :meh:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. LENNY

LENNY DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +166 / 17
    Be carefull flu season coming and if the 2 virus's decide to get married watch out!!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Curious, does the Philippines have a flu season? I don't remember ever hearing about it or catching the flu.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    The asymptomatics as they call them— some of them will experience symptoms later and some of them may have really strong immune systems that their bodies are able to fight the virus but nevertheless infect others. They won’t remain as such though. That is why we need to wear masks in order to protect ourselves and others. We could be asymptomatic too —-so let’s continue to observe health protocols by treating everyone as asymptomatic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Immunity—yes, I agree. Just get out there, with all health protocols on hand, and let our body adapt to the new normal. The virus is here to stay. I am for accepting this fact but in a non-complacent way.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If they are asymptomatic then they are, by definition, without symptoms. Where did you get this information that says the asymptomatic will show symptoms later? The link I provided says exactly how long it takes before symptoms show in each age group.

• Agree Agree x 1