Dumaguete Info Search

Review Best Posts in Thread: Dumaguete is not the best place to retire.

1. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Most of the OP comments I agree with, some don't represent my experience. How Dumaguete ever got to be ranked the #5 place in the world to retire is beyond me. If I was to make a list, it would not make my top 20. It definitely takes a certain kind of person to be able to be happy here. If you come here thinking it's a low-cost alternative to retiring in Hawaii, boy are you going to be disappointed. But, having said that, I've been here for a year and a half and I have found a way to be happy here. The comments about the people and service is not what I have experienced. I usually get water at restaurants, and if not, when I ask it comes quickly and with a smile. Prices do seem to be up, but still are very good compared to what I was used to living in the States so I wouldn't complain. I agree the driving is a serious issue. When you first start you don't realize that things you thought nobody would ever do, they are going to do all the time. I am always aware if there is a motor cycle on my right side because you never know when a Ceres bus going the other way is going to suddenly pull into your lane driving high speed straight at you blinking their lights expecting you to pull over to the edge to get out of their way; or when a tricycle going the other way will see someone walking on your side of the road and suddenly pull a U-turn right in front of you and put on their brakes to pick them up. So getting used to driving here is one of the biggest challenges. It's amazing how if you encounter these people in person they are gentle smiling friendly people, but put them in a vehicle and they drive like aggressive psychopaths. It is an interesting phenomenon.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  2. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Best Answer
    Like said the list of complaints is the standard list of complaints we have heard 1001 times a month. Catch is where else to go?

Now think on this. Where else can you go besides Dumaguete in the Philippines where you won't have the exact same problems without it being much more expensive? Service comes with a cost and that's the truth. Dumaguete has plenty of problems and no one will argue with that but we're fairly safe for serious bad weather, we have access to a mall with movie theaters while its crappy in ways, we have close access to decent beaches, we have some decent places to eat that aren't overly expensive, and the list goes on. We could move to Cebu City or Manila to find better service, better malls, better restaurants, and so forth but all of that comes with a cost with increased prices and not just a couple of peso's. Driver's in the Philippines all drive insane and the more traffic the more insane it gets, Dumaguete is no different in that then anyplace else in the country. If you find someplace w/o crazy drivers odds are its tiny and barely any traffic.

Plenty of us have thought of or even packed up to try for greener pastures in another city in the Philippines and some of us have repeatedly come back to seeing Dumaguete while very problematic is still the best choice for us.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. RichD

RichD DI Forum Adept Veteran Air Force

Work?!?!?
    Ratings:
    +287 / 687
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sage advice for the unhappy.
    unhappy.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Shouldn't this be in the Humor section of the forum?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I think to level the playing field on this debate, there is one criteria that should be front and center, and that is “do you have money”? If so, there are hundreds of places one would rather retire in.
    On the other end of the scale, if you come here with insufficient retirement funds, broke or too small pension, Dumaguete may not meet your expectations or work for you, unfortunately.
    The class of guys who have enough for a semi-comfortable life style and don’t require a heavy dose of night life seem to be content here. Some even “live the dream” with a place on the beach.
    You can’t stop progress, Dumaguete will continue to grow and suffer the growing pains. Third World countries can’t afford to build the Infrstructure ahead of the growth.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Seems like you would have saved yourself a trip if you had.

You act as if there is some major transgression or crime happening when in reality bad service, subpar food and outrageous food prices (when you factor in quality) is the standard in the Philippines. It is the way it has been since I first came to the country in 2005 and was probably like that long before that. Yeah, there are a few restaurants around the country that can step it up to a Western standard but you almost always pay a premium for that (more so than you would for the exact same service in the US).

There you go making those assumptions about people and resorting to personal attacks again. You are definitely putting off a pretty irritating "holier than thou" vibe.

It seems you have forgotten where you are. You are not in your home country anymore. You need to forget about those standards and prices and adapt to the local standards and purchasing power. Yes, the service is subpar and food overpriced...but it is like that almost everywhere in the country. You say you've been traveling around for a year in the Philippines? With your expectations and huge sense of entitlement I'd say the odds are around 2:1 you don't make it another year.

Again, none of this is breaking news to anyone on this forum (or a person who has even spent a couple days in the Philippines/Dumaguete). Many of us have complained here and to the managers of the restaurants. It has rarely ever made any lasting impressions on the way the business operate. They will only change the way they operate when they start to lose money.

What does religion have to do with service and people sleeping on the job? The answer is nothing, absolutely nothing. You say you have traveled and Dumaguete is the only place where Filipinos sleep on the job. Pay closer attention when you are traveling because it happens all over the country.

"I guess you'll enjoy counting"?
    What does this even mean? Maybe I should cut you some slack, it seems that English isn't your first language. Given the arrogance, odd backhanded insults, p*ss-poor communication/social skills, desire to let everyone know how unhappy you are and a massive void where a sense of humor would normally be I'm going to guess you are German? If so that explains pretty much everything.

Why do you keep saying "innocent people"? That's a bit odd. Do you see yourself as some sort of restaurant reviewing super hero on a mission to enlighten us helpless citizens? Captain Complainer?

:o o: Lol What?

:hilarious: Oh boy, you're one of those types. Disagreeing with you isn't calling you a liar.

:wideyed: Huh? There is no way you are a Filipina. Was your dad German?

Solid logic. Perhaps you are Filipino. :rolleyes:

Want to know how to hack the bad service issue in the Philippines? Carry your own service bell with you when you go out.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Genius x 1
    • Winner x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Oh my! What breaking news! :rolleyes:

I take it you didn't do your research prior to making the trip or followed this forum. Your OP here is basically just copypasta of every single complaint that has been made on this forum since it was created.

I hope you didn't just read the Forbes article and say to yourself, "Gee whiz, I'll pack up my things and move to Dumaguete ASAP!"

It seems you have moved around the country quite a bit. You might just be best served with moving on to another city. I can assure you that the exact same complaints made previously here made little to no change to the way businesses operate or how traffic flows in the city. If you want to rant, well, go right ahead. Most of the members here have done so to relieve a bit of stress that living in Dumaguete will almost certainly bring. However, it is best to avoid making sweeping accusations against the local and expat communities. Chances are that most people are just as annoyed with it as you are.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have noticed a significant improvement in the availability of and/or the ability to quickly order products, goods and services along with a much higher quality and wider selection of restaurants since I have been back (arrived 25DEC). Table service at many of these places has also improved. There is plenty of room for improvement but I feel they are definitely headed in the right direction.

While the selection of foreigner focused bars/nightlife/restaurant seems to have went downhill or stagnated (there are some exceptions) I have noticed major improvements and participation in the local bar scene. (These days I really prefer to hang out with Filipinos/Filmix as the conversations tends to be much more relatable, civil and cordial and the point of going out for them is to actually have fun and socialize...not to start bunch of drama/fights, put their mental illness on display for all to see and/or compair notes for which bar wh*re screws the best.)

Many of the bamboo hut style restobars I frequented in the past have completely remodeled to a hard structure and moved on to more modern interior design.

Yes, traffic sucks during rush hours but I can't really remember a time, since I arrived in 2010, when this was not the case. Most of us have the luxury of being able to adjust our schedule around these high traffic hours. If you have the ability to do this stop your whinging and adjust your schedule FFS.

Again, there is still plenty of room for improvement (for the love of God PLEASE make debit/credit card and mobile payment options widespread! I hate carrying around more than P10k and constantly having to go to an ATM.) but I have actually been quite impressed with the fast pace of improvement in and around the city/area. My 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    this is an interesting topic and would be nice to discuss, but not in this thread :-)
    funny enough that many filipinos I talked to wish to relocate to germany, maybe because; after many buts, everything there is simply reliable. btw, what do you find too expensive here? prices for local stuff and services are ok for me, if you know what you should pay, no problem here in Duma. I just come from Boracay and there is everything really high priced. import foods and stuff? surely expensive like gold, but as everywhere, the market is regulating the price, so it seems to work here :-) hinay-hinay ug calma, Ares, the best way to live here.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kelly Acosta

Kelly Acosta DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    I live in Colorado for 30 years; when I moved to Dumaguete--I knew what I was getting into. For me, when you start comparing places--you will never be satisfied. The last time I check, there is no perfect place.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1