Dumaguete Info Search

Review Dumaguete is not the best place to retire.

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Ares Alexakis, Jan 23, 2019.

1. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    this is an interesting topic and would be nice to discuss, but not in this thread :-)
    funny enough that many filipinos I talked to wish to relocate to germany, maybe because; after many buts, everything there is simply reliable. btw, what do you find too expensive here? prices for local stuff and services are ok for me, if you know what you should pay, no problem here in Duma. I just come from Boracay and there is everything really high priced. import foods and stuff? surely expensive like gold, but as everywhere, the market is regulating the price, so it seems to work here :-) hinay-hinay ug calma, Ares, the best way to live here.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I personally find it refreshing that a Filipina puts out some complaints; folks are questioning that, I have no clue who the OP is but her complaints are the same as many expats have.

To judge someone on their English typing/comprehension is pretty petty; I have many years in Korea but my language skills are really at a kinder level. I get by and folks are always helpful.

My biggest pet peeve will always be folks that are quick to say if you don't like it then go home; how is that constructive?

I have no clue how the US President or the military I love came up on this topic...

Shawn

• Like Like x 4
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Thanks- but I am really too modest to accept praise. :angelic:

Yes, I have studied genetics and also English - so I see "yourself" as being redundant.

5. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    So you are German then???

Btw, is your first name made up (that is fine, as Notmyrealname is (surprisingly) not actually my real name either)? I wondered as I was thinking about anagrams of Ares and if you chose it intentionally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I agree that saying "Go home" is not constructive as they may also be unhappy there. The correct response is to suggest leaving a place where you are not happy to find somewhere where you can be happy. The alternative is to accept the difficulties and limitations of where you are. "For every evil under the sun ... There is a solution or there is none .... If there is one then go and find it ..... If there is none then never mind it"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Boycee64p

Boycee64p DI New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    i am not from Dumaguete, but we've been here since 1996 till now 2019. The churches, hospitals, marketplace, supermarkets and plaza are very near to each other. It is very convenient to move from one place to the other. In fact you only need a motorbike if you want to tour the city streets. Universities, city halls, pier area as well as the airport is from 1 to 3 kilometers apart only. It's like a one stop shop kind of place. On a Sunday morning, you can go to Silliman beach in a jiffy. The massage parlours are also fluorishing as well as the gyms. Life in Dumaguete is simple. And that's what i like about it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2019
  8. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    I have just had very different experiences here than what's in the OP -- and I find it difficult to believe that traffic, price-raises, service attitudes & etc are any better elsewhere in the Phil (except Makati & etc of course) or all SEAsia (except Singapore)....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Telling someone to leave or go home is definitely not constructive. But then again, most of these malcontents are people who just complain about everything without telling us exactly what they tried on their end to alleviate the issue. Constructive criticism warrants constructive advice. Garbage in, Gabrage out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gobi Desert Rat

Gobi Desert Rat DI New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Gday Ares,
    Not sure what your point is, accept and enjoy the amazing people and opportunities outdoors that are here or Get out, go somewhere else and enjoy everything there that is "perfect" about that place... until you wake up and see that every place on this planet has issues if you chose to make issues out of things.
    I Only chose to see positives (or challenges) in everything and love it, look first at yourself before judging others, your a 'guest" in there country and respect that.