Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Dumaguete man commits suicide after crossing a 12-year-old girl

1. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I assumed he was drunk because it was mentioned here earlier as a fact.

And that is the thing - the alcohol doesn't really matter, it just makes things worse. If you overrun a vehicle stopping in front of you it is always your fault, drunk or not, daylight or not, middle of the road or not. There always are a hundred good reasons for a vehicle in front of you to stop suddenly. If you fail to stop in time you've been either too fast, had to little distance to the vehicle in front of you, or have not been watching the road in front of you. Simple as that.

As the driver of a car you have a responsibility towards weaker parties in traffic, i.e. motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians, drunk or not. You are moving 2 tons of steel at possibly high speeds, that can easily kill everybody getting in its way. Compare that to the damage a 100kg underbone or scooter can possibly do.

So yes, please show some compassion :smile:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Wow, such sad news. There is info on this all over FB of course.

It appears the vehicle rear-ended the motorcycle, which was stopped or slowing for a turn. One back-rider was killed. The mother and two other children survived. From other articles, it appears the cause of death was impact with the ground rather than being run over.

Motorcycles are dangerous. Most Filipino's don't know proper safety protocols for driving. A greater percentage of foreigners know the protocols but they aren't "motorcycle fluent" drivers. In an ideal world, only those who are highly competent driving motorcycles would be driving them. To put it grimly, motorcycles are a developing world sacrifice of the value of life in exchange for the value of quick transportation. Foreigners who come to the Philippines with no experience driving motorcycles don't realize this.

NOTE: No foreigners were involved in this accident.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    watch out for the parties f.e. at the Forest Camp in Valencia, not only on week-ends. people drinking Tanduay and beer without end, and then step into their big brandnew SUVs to ride home. alcohol tests by the police would make the roads much more safe.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    There was another foreigner who allegedly commited suicide last saturday evening in bacong. A guy from the u.s.
    People say he put a plastic bag over his head but details are sketchy as of now.
    I knew of this guy and have my suspicions about circumstances. But nothing in the news anywhere.

• Informative Informative x 5
  5. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I don't see how being a good driver would have helped in this case - getting overrun by a drunk in a car from behind doesn't leave many options.

Second, there are many Filipinos who are really capable motorcycle drivers. They may not always adhere to Western driving rules on roads, but watch them ride a fully loaded bike on rough roads and worse somewhere in the mountains and you have to admit they got riding skills.

The bigger problem, drunk driving aside, is that people who can barely drive a scooter and have no formal driving education at one point change into an SUV and continue driving that as they did their scooter.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Wildlands1

Wildlands1 DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +133 / 27
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I've ridden around EVERY major and medium, and many minor islands here, for a year, over 15000 miles, with only one minor accident. Ya just gotta wing it, and go with the flow, retarded as it is.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not sure where you are from, but yes the Second Amendment has a lot of impact on gun ownership, it impacts the law abiders. Criminals get their title because they don't abide by the law, hence criminals access to guns.

Australia banned guns a few decades ago. Recently they ran an amnesty program to turn in illegal firearms, they netted some 50,000, so what did those laws do.

You would be surprised how many Filipinos own a firearm, look at how many get in shoot outs with the police. I venture to say most of those cases are not legally owned and purchased firearms.

It is unlawful for me to own a weapon here and it is the first time in my adult life that I have not had one, I abide by the law.

Take a trip to Danao Cebu, it is the gun capital of the Philippines.

Sao Paolo in Brazil has many deaths by guns. At one point they were the murder capital of the world.

France has some of the toughest gun control laws in all of Europe but it did not stop a terrorist recently from shooting many people.

Criminals will get guns, regardless of the laws imposed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Assuming you mean "most easily treated", I wonder why you think that? I would say that for some people, it is one of the most difficult to treat.

I am not sure if this has come up in this thread yet, but we also have to consider that the man killed himself out of remorse - a huge thing to exist whilst knowing you were at fault in removing the life of an innocent child.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 1,261
    No. I was rear ended in Dumaguete by a motorcycle. The motorcyclist was really upset when the PNP told him he would have to pay for the damage to my car if I insisted.
    I had insurance so I let the motorcyclist off. I didn't want his motor and my car impounded for who knows how long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    I am just saying, somebody should show some compassion for the person who committed suicide. All it takes is one little mistake, not even being drunk, and in this environment in Dumaguete it is do d*mn easy to hit somebody by mistake. And when it happens, the deep remorse a person feels is enough to make them commit suicide. In Japan, that was once considered the honorable thing to do. I would say we should have compassion as we respect the option he chose, and hate to say it but the family of the girl probably felt vindicated and that is probably good for their closure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3