Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete man commits suicide after crossing a 12-year-old girl

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by mokum, Dec 20, 2018.

1. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    You are correct. I misspoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I rode once in the US after I learned to ride in the Philippines. Talk about a mind-numbingly mundane experience! No passing on the right, no riding on sidewalks, no lane splitting, going the speed limit, staying on your side of the road, having to get a proper motorcycle endorsement (I ignored that one), police that will (and can) pursue and having to wave at every other c*nt that passes you on a motorcycle. P*ss on all that nonsense. Land of the "free" my butt. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Is it really possible to kill yourself by putting a plastic bag over your head? Too much discomfort, and opportunity to back out, unlike a bullet or a bridge. Before this gets too morbid...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If it were a big enough plastic bag you would just run out of oxygen, possibly become euphoric or confused and then fall asleep and die. Though, if it were a small bag that cut off your ability to take a breath I would think you would need some "assistance".

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Should be said that people do decide to pull out of suicide, but for some it will be too late.

Best if you have any feelings of deep sadness, despondency, lack of hope, self-harm then talk to a professional or, if that is too big a step, then to a friend. Any decent person will listen and take you seriously (telling you to 'pull yourself together' is NOT helpful advice) and talking may be just what you need to kick-start your recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    In this particular case, considering that the legal system would likely put him in prison ‘in perpetua’ if he was drunk when it happened, then from a practical point of view, from his perspective, that bullet may have been in his mind the best logical ‘way to go’, so to speak. It may have been simply a logical decision. The survival rate of Philippine prisoners who kill 12 year girls (Albiet accidentally) cannot be that high and even if no relative hires a hit man in prison, seven years might be his typical survival period, and, the whole time in prison might be worse than death anyway. So logically speaking, he may have figured his life was over anyway. Of course, many of us would not believe he deserved a life sentence or that the person was inherently evil. A good justice system should incorporate some forgiveness on the part of society and give a second chance, at least according to our Western cultures. But in this country, the family of the little girl will have a big say as to his punishment, most likely going for a life sentence or death sentence if an option, at least this is how I am told things work here by people who were born here.

7. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    The judicial system here can be a bit strange. As I understand it the government can file a case if they want, as often the situation in drug related cases. In cases of murder sometimes it is up to the family to ask for a case to be filled. Sometimes a case will not be persuaded if blood money is paid.

In the case of the phil Prins murder I think someone came from the US embassy to make sure a case was filed. The police waited for the culprits to leave town before filing the charges.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Yes, I understand that - and think 'talking' might not have been any use in this case (my advice coming today would, of course, be of no use whatsoever to him - even if he ever read this website).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  9. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Suicide is never logical (though we could nitpick about assisted suicide.)

Depression affects a lot of people. He may have been on the brink already. This all assumes that the story is simply that he committed suicide.

I wonder how / why he even had ownership of a gun and what the percentage of gun ownership is here.

10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The why? Simply because he chose to. The how? He simply purchased it or had it given to him, might not have even been his own gun. Percentage of ownership? Legally or illegally? Not hard to acquire one here.