Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete man commits suicide after crossing a 12-year-old girl

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by mokum, Dec 20, 2018.

1. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    If you think you can ride a motorbike the way U were used to in your home country (USA, Western Europe, Australia) better not even consider to buy a bike, your first day on the bike will most probably your last day. So day in day out, I am trying to adapt to what is said to be the PH way of riding a bike. Nevertheless after so many years I am still getting confused now and than. So low speed, anticipate and go with the flow, is the only way to survive riding a bike unless a lunatic still manage to hit you in the dark riding a bike without any headlight.

2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Have you seen how people drive at around 3 - 4 in the morning? That's when the real animals come out. It's like certain people take crazy juice and it only gets activated at 3 AM. The road like a circus on 2 wheels. People yelling and screaming as they barrel down the road. Using the seat on their motorcycle as if it's a moving beanbag and they're angling to get just the right position to watch video on their cell phone. Multiple motorycle round-table discussions. Racing. Honking horns. No lights. Green lights. Flashing lights.

If Russi were to sell flamethrower muffler attachments one day only, there would be charred bodies stuck to the road the next morning. If for just one day there were a button on their motorcycles with a label "this button will launch you into space" there would be a fireworks show at 3 AM.

At that time, I have to be drunk myself just to have the courage to be on the street. Otherwise it's like living in one of those apocalyptic zombie invasion movies. You have to hide when you see something moving in hopes they won't see you. At best, it's honking, waving and screams of aaaaaahhhhrrrrju! At worst... well, you have seen zombie movies. Occasionally I do get offered a blow job from someone who looks like Bullwinkle in a dress.

Then there's the stray dogs, which is another post.

Lately I have been getting up early for a McDo coffee and a stroll before doing something productive. I'm beginning to think it's not worth the risk.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I don't see how being a good driver would have helped in this case - getting overrun by a drunk in a car from behind doesn't leave many options.

Second, there are many Filipinos who are really capable motorcycle drivers. They may not always adhere to Western driving rules on roads, but watch them ride a fully loaded bike on rough roads and worse somewhere in the mountains and you have to admit they got riding skills.

The bigger problem, drunk driving aside, is that people who can barely drive a scooter and have no formal driving education at one point change into an SUV and continue driving that as they did their scooter.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    The thrust of my post was that driving motorcycles is dangerous. If the victims of this situation were in a 4 wheel vehicle with good safety standards, then everyone would have survived. We are therefore reducing the value of life relative to the need for transportation. This is a developing world trade-off. Westerners don't see to think about this and they are happy to jump on a motorcycle.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Yes that's true, and if the kid would have worn a helmet (assuming she didn't) she maybe wouldn't have died either. Still, the driver seemed to see that it obviously was his fault alone and did the right thing, imho.

I have only been riding occasionally before moving here, and since then made around 20k kms on two wheels so far. I try to avoid driving at night, especially on unknown roads.

Especially in the city and with the mostly nice weather two wheels are simply much more practical - I have a car but I only use it if I really have to. Drives me nuts when I have to drive walking pace behind tricycles instead of just zipping past them...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Not this Westerner. I rode a bike at age 16 on but was relieved to be able to have four wheels. I remember once aquaplaning over an iron-clad road (on a bridge) on my motorbike and it was scary. So, I for one, agree with you fully and I have 'persuaded' my wife to agree with me!

• Like Like x 1
  7. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    You do not know if the driver was drunk, you are just assuming he was because he had attended a party where alcohol was served. How much alcohol did he drink, what was his capacity? What if he weren’t drunk? He wouldn’t have hit a motorcycle parked in the middle of a national Hwy? How man beers caused him to hit the vehicle if the baseline line is zero for a completely sober man? Sometimes it appears to me that almost all motorcycle drivers in Dumaguete are attempting to use my car to commit suicide with their motorcycle. Thus, car drivers, as in the case of the referenced accident, please show some compassion to these suicide-prone 2 wheelers who drive without any rational logic, no lights at night, pass you on the right as you turn right and dart out in front of you without looking, just taking a gamble that nobody will really hit THEM ( God is protecting them). And by all means, drink nothing because you will be convicted of drunk driving by the expat base who hates other people drinking alcohol unless of course those other people happen to be themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  8. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    watch out for the parties f.e. at the Forest Camp in Valencia, not only on week-ends. people drinking Tanduay and beer without end, and then step into their big brandnew SUVs to ride home. alcohol tests by the police would make the roads much more safe.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    If you know, what is the legal blood alcohol percentage in the Philippines? What is the penalty if you are caught? I don’t even know the penalty for speeding (and I haven’t seen too many speed limit or stop signs) here. Checkpoints are mainly concerned with registration, helmets but never alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I thought the legal BAC was 0.05 in the Philippines. However, if you are getting tested you are already in some major crap (or dead). Years ago they spoke of getting breathalyzers for the police to run tests, not sure if they ever followed through on that.

The only time you have to really be concerned with getting busted for speeding is if you are on one of the expressways in Luzon or in one of the special economic zones (Subic and Clark). Those are the only place I have ever seen the police do anything even remotely resembling "patrolling" in the country. I've heard in some locations in Mindanao they also do that but I've never been on that island so have no first hand experience there.

• Like Like x 1