Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete Post Office

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by tanjay, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think most post offices (and people) would look at that address with some skepticism. Being American, that address makes zero sense to me.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Maybe but to a Brit or European it will mean something with the UK Added, Now if it was put in a Post Box in the UK at say 4.30pm today First post tomorrow or maybe second ( if the town has a 2nd Post) the letter will be there

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I will add that the UK Post code system was developed by an American based on the US Zip Code which I would imagine would be very similar and work in the same way :angelic:

4. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

i guess i was assuming some sort of general delivery process would be possible. i arrived at the post office on my first visit and was told yes my letter had arrived. then spent more than 30 minutes on the third floor while they searched and could not find it. so that tells me that there internal filing system leaves something to be desired, eh.

then they took my info and told me the carrier had it and they told me when to come back. they took the description of were i lived and my phone number at that time. why would the carrier have it if there was not enough info to deliver it? so i assume they thought it was adequate. i returned to the p o when they said and the carrier was not there. i went to the 3 rd floor while they searched again. i came back a third time at their request and nope, no one knew where it is but it was returned to my son in the US several months later so at least they don't throw such stuff out.

so there was confirmation that the letter had arrived and they knew i was the receipient and that i was scheduled to come back for it but it was lost within the local system.

no, i do not expecct p o workers to be magicians or pyschics. i will say that they had really good people skills which were much appreciated.

like many others here i found the service to be unacceptable and do not plan to use it again. (the p o box worked but was too expensive for a monthly letter only) but that is an easy decision for me since i don't use mail delivery for anything but urgent stuff which i would use one of the other services.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There would need to be some commas and breaks for it to make sense to me.
    is the format most Americans are used to seeing and this is the layout I've seen most other places use as well. I use a slight modification of this layout for my Philippines address and it works for me. Something like:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Can't say about the Zip code but the UK Postcode is all one item and is Auto scanned

7. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

honestly do you really think anyone wants/expects lesson on punctuations from the site moderator? asking for a friend

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well, I'm getting my mail. How about you? Oh yeah...:rolleyes:

Maybe the punctuation and address format is just a coincidence. Keep trying that "general delivery process" that only needs your name and the city name. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    As

has been mentioned, the UK post codes are auto-scanned and directed accordingly at sorting offices. The principle of the coding is quite simple. The first letters representing the town/area, the following numbers before the space representing an area within that town or area, the first number after the space being a sub-area and the final letters representing the closest you can identify without a dwelling name or street number, but usually down to the level of part of a street or road. These can be used for mailshots/advertising when wishing to target defined areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    *'As'....don't know where that went!