Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete the best City to live?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by robin50, May 26, 2010.

1. robin50

robin50 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Everyone,
    this is my first posting and because I am a new 'Dumaguetian' I decided to post this topic as information to others who may be deciding on where in the Philippines it is best to live.

After having arrived in the Philippines to live here permanently in 2009, I have come to the conclusion that Dumaguete is by far the best city for me.

I have spent 2 months traveling to most parts of the Philippines from Zamboanga (far south) to Baguio (Northern region) visiting over 25 major cities and dozens of provincial towns along the way in search of the best place to settle down. On my observations I found that Dumaguete won over every other city I visited on the following points. There are other places that share some of these points but there is no city that can hold title to all of these.

Dumaguete is the best place to live because -

1- The city is very clean in comparison to most other cities.
    2- The people are friendly and accepting of foreigners and not suffering from xenophobia.
    3- There are many opportunities for business and untapped markets.
    4- The City has good services and infrastructure (and there are even better plans for the future).
    5- You can travel to Cebu, Mindenao, Bohol or Siquijor (another great place) easily and fast.
    6- The beaches are beautiful and clean.
    7- Cost of food, clothing, rent and most consumer goods is low.
    8- The tricycles are of the largest design in the Philippines and even if you are 7 foot tall you will still have leg room. In Bohol for example the tricycles are the smallest and you need to be a midget to get through the opening.
    9- The locals don't drive you crazy with loud singing(usually howling) on kareokie machines everywhere you go.
    10- Although there are no visible taxi cars here the tricycles provide an excellent transport service and unlike some other cities don't expel tons of smoke from their exhaust pipes. As a result the city is not covered in thick smog.
    11- If you drive your own car you will notice that the roads here are wide, in good condition and there is plenty of space for pedestrians to walk without having to walk on the road.
    12- The restoraunts are numerous and good and there is a large variety of International cuisene. I even found a place along the Boulevard that serves excellent Vienna Schnitzel !!
    13- There are almost no children or other types of beggars and people living on the streets.
    14- The medical services and hospitals are excellent.
    15- There are no electricity power cuts.
    16- The water tastes fine and it is safe to drink.
    17- It's a bit cooler due to the eastern aspect and geographical position of the mountains (a great bonus).
    18- Crime is low.

cheers!!

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I would agree with most except 1,6,7,12,15 and 16. Some are subjective and a matter of opinion. If you never experienced an "electricity power cut" while in Dumaguete, then you were fortunate and haven't been around long enough.

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, you gotta learn a lot about Dumaguete as yours read like a 3 day tourist post but is a far cry from reality. with 25 Cities in 2 month you actually had about 1 day in a town when taking 1 day for traveling in between destinations.

If this is enough to judge anything ... well, no comment ..

When you stay in a town a couple of weeks, month or years you will see things a lot different about Dumaguete and other Cities, but I consider your post a little over enthusiastic (and this is the polite version).

Even Duma is a great place, many of your observations are simply wrong. You may wonder which ones? Well, a few hours reading through posts of people who actually are here AND have many years in the PI in several places may help :-)

anyway, welcome to DI

4. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Doesn't sound a bit like the place I've lived in for the last 22 years!:eek::D

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    The difference must be in the OP's sunglasses. :D

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

You forgot one, "the education system is far superior to most countries!"

LOL

Larry

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    This reminds me of someone I was helping to get settled in here about 5 years ago. he was telling me how great these tricycles were compared to other places, amongst so many other things that were so terrific here. Within 2 months he had lost his passport and his wallet, and replaced his wallet and credit cards to lose it a second time. Both times his credit cards had been used.

Where did he lose them? Sitting upside down in those pedicabs he was so fond of!

Within 4 months he was more than completely disenchanted and left broke with his tail between his legs, never to be seen or heard from again!

Larry

8. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Hi Robin50,

Thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences, it's always good to look at new things in a positive light.

I sailed my boat around the Pacific and arrived in Cebu 13 years ago, and have been living happily in Sibulan for the last 6. Not as long as some but longer than others.

I do have to say however. what the others have said is correct, and like any other place in the world, you have to be alert and not too "Blue eyed" if you expect to survive.

I just like shadow, have observed and or helped a lot of people that have come here thinking they know it all and exactly what they are doing, and the old timers are too "Jaded". Most of them are gone now.

On the other hand, I have seen several people live a very successful life here, both family and financial. As for me I hope to be here for the duration.

Take it slow, enjoy the hospitality of the gentle, friendly people. choose your friends carefully. BUT DON'T DRINK THE WATER! Buy the clean stuff it's cheap insurance.

I wish you all the luck and happiness you desire, hope to meet you one day.

Ron

9. kewl:)

kewl:) DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It may not be as perfect as stated on the list. But definitely better than most other cities in the country.

10. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Welcome Robin50,
    I hope our comments are not stopping you to make more postings.
    It's your view and your perception of 'the best city to live'.
    Even after your short experience of all the cities you visited 'on the fly'. :wink:
    I at least agree with one of them: Your observation that the mix of all these mentioned points is very positive for Dumaguete.
    Why otherwise should i stay here any longer ?
    I hope your posting will have a long live so we get a lot more opinions about our beloved city.
    I must say you have quite some guts to make these statements after such a short time. No problem with that because it's YOUR opinion.
    Could you introduce yourself a bit more to us. Origin, age (50 ?), etc... ?