Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete the best City to live?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by robin50, May 26, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    robin50

robin50 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am from Sydney, I am 50 and married to a Filipina 42. I have lived in Philippines for 1 year in total. Reading most of your comments it's hard to imagine how some of you have lasted in Dumaguete for so many years. You sound so negative. No place is a paradise. Anyway, it would be very easy for me to get into a very long argument here with some of your comments but I wont bother. I asked a simple question. Is Dumaguete the best city to live? If you don't think Dumaguete is the best city just tell us all why, but don't throw it in my face because I don't have 10 years up my sleeve here. I want to know what your views are not comments about my views. If you don't think it's the best city say why, this isn't about my assumptions it's about your opionion to the topic question. I listed 18 points, no one listed any for or against except to tell me I'm still green. Even if I was a dumb tourist I would still have an opinion. If a guy looses his credit cards is it the fault of the Dumaguete' tricycle system?
    Also the personal lives of people or their misfortunes have no relevance to the topic. You cant say a City is bad because someone's life went bad there, it's their own fate. I am not being blue eyed. The roads are wider, the tricycles are bigger, etc etc. and yes there are bad people everywhere.

So please share your own personal comments about Dumaguete being the best City or not (compared to other cities not my view).

Thank you gentlemen.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, you have a question-mark in the headline, but thats about it

your post is and has no question but is plain wrong statement, missinforming people about a lot of things..

As you are already fixed with your opinion, there is nothing to discuss, isn't there?

well, I give you 5, 8 and with limitations 17.

other points against are already listed in some thousand posts on DI (clean, medication, vendors, crime, etc)

3. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Shangri La of the orient

Hey Robin50,

I agree with your observation of Dumaguete a HUNDRED PERCENT!!

I would go even further by adding an additional point to your list which I'm certain you'll agree with me....

19) Sh*t don't stink here in Dumaguete:D

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Well Robin, most of us have seen MANY people come here with rose colored glasses on, and it usually doesn't take them long before they are pissing and moaning with the best of them. At least half are gone within a year. You're right, no place is a paradise.

Larry

5. mrbee

mrbee DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think he found Utopia.

6. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Actually based on my experiences, Dumaguete would not even qualify as a city, in reality it is just a rural town maybe with big ambitions. Nothing wrong with that but just misleading like your observations of the "city." Some of us live here because we have to or just want to, paradise or not. It could be the worst "city" in the PI but it has its characteristics that I do like such as being small and trying to be a city. The pedicab is still the main transportation. I love that. I never want to see cars or streetlights welcome in the city. I can go on but i will save that for other posts. Starting to see why "city" is very much misleading, at least to westerners perceptions.

7. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    1) Who's being negative? I would rather term a lot of comments realistic.

2) Got that right.

3) Good.

4) Tell us who's "throwing it your face" and we'll break his/her legs for you.

5) Inability of locals to drive in a straight line, but that's only my opinion.

6) Perhaps a lot of readers thought the statements in your initial post, were a trifle naive, but that's only my opinion.

7) Yes indeed, but "trying to tell your grannie how to suck eggs", probably will get you a bit of a 'ribbing' from longer term residents, but that's only my opinion.

8) In your opinion, which we appreciate, though the frequency of such experiences may indicate some sort of prevalent trend in life here or hereabouts.

9) Well spotted.

10) Now who are you talking about?

Only my opinion but try and take it easier whilst reading others' replies, no one is saying you don't know squat, just you have had different experiences here and elsewhere. If you've been fortunate enough not to have had bad experiences and life is good, then good for you. Just please, don't expect absolutely everybody, to be in tune with all your statements, opinions, experiences or the way you view life in Dumaguete, that's only my opinion though.

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2

And mine too! :D

9. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Robin...mate..think you're going in the wrong direction..LOL..

"Sydney has again been voted in the top 10 of the world’s most liveable cities out of 221 cities around the world in an independent international study.

Sydney beat other global cities including Paris, San Francisco and London to a top ten position.

The Mercer Worldwide Quality of Living Survey voted Sydney number 10, for the third year in a row - beating Melbourne, which slipped one place this year to 18 - and New York – which ranked 49.

The survey gave Sydney 106.3 points compared to Melbourne’s 104.8 points and New York’s index score of 100."

Sydney one of the world’s most liveable cities - Government - News | Southern Courier

Lowly Perth only got 21st in the world. Honolulu, if I remember correctly, was the best rating in the US. I think it was number 33.....Actually thought Honolulu would do better than that...very pleasant there...

For the Philippines:

"Of 221 cities sampled in its 2010 Worldwide Quality of Living Survey released Wednesday, business solutions firm Mercer said Manila placed 128th out of 221 cities where foreigners live. The Philippine capital garnered a score of 69.9 from 70.9 in the 2009 survey.
    But Manila was still ahead of neighboring capitals Jakarta and Hanoi.
    The 221 cities were ranked against New York as the base city with an index score of 100."
    Study finds Manila living conditions not improving - Nation - GMANews.TV - Official Website of GMA News and Public Affairs - Latest Philippine News
    Surprised Manila beat Hanoi....but Jakarta wasn't a surprise...

10. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    I've been to Hanoi, worked there, no comparison with Manila, unless the N.P.A. achieve their "Utopian" communist state set up here.:eek: