Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete the best City to live?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by robin50, May 26, 2010.

1. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    That's interesting KTM. I personally haven't been that far north...but have several friends and co-workers that have stayed in Hanoi, usually on business or vacations, and not to live. But they all loved it. All of them. A couple minor gripes....but nothing compared to the grumbles I get from Manila trips....Maybe the warts come out in Hanoi for those that stay long-term.

2. OP
    OP
    robin50

robin50 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I lived in Sydney for 40 years and you can live next to your neighbour for 20 years and the most you may get would be a hello if you bumped into them. There are 700 thousand people in Sydney living alone. Its the lonliest place on Earth as far as Im concerned and the women walk around with their noses up in the air. Haha, but thats just my opinion, right?

I love Dumaguete and yes I expect there will be times I will get pissed by something or someone but most of the time here is alright when I look back at Sydney for example.

This topic sure got some hackles up, haha,
    If I end up changing my mind about Dumaguete and find that I was mistaken, I will humble myself and I will let you all know why. Your points have been taken dont worry.
    cheers

3. gmcvandura

gmcvandura DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with you in so many ways, but dont assume that every thing is good. remember (assumptions is the mother of all f#%&k ups.) even in Rome where the Vatican is , theres a lot of pick pockets.. so welcome and hope to see you someday...

4. gmcvandura

gmcvandura DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dont be discourage by what other people say. if you already love dumaguete so then , whats holding you up? Just be very very smart, and keep an eye on your pocket that has money. dont worry about the empty one..hehehe. and remember the mother of all..

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Well I hope Robin is here now to witness just how ludicrous one of his assumptions was, number 15 "There are no electricity power cuts". We have had 5 brownouts totaling over 7 of the last 36 hours.

I suspect tomorrow we will be without power a good portion of the day, so they can do "maintenance".

Larry

6. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Robin,
    I've been living in Dumaguete for the last 2 years out of about 17 years in the Philippines. I like it here better than other places in the Philippines I have stayed but I gotta say I think your looking at the place through rose colored glasses. I would really like to see you post an updated version of your list in about a years time. Welcome to the forum and I hope Dumaguete lives up to your expectations.

7. phomsanuk

phomsanuk DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you work for the tourist bureau :}

8. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Maybe you are color blind and mistaking all those plastic bags everywhere with shrubbery.

They are smiling and friendly towards you because you just overpaid for something.

That's because everyone is too busy over saturating the internet cafe and neighborhood store markets.

What? I can't hear you, my neighbors are blasting karaoke.

I'm sure they will be when the city stops tearing them up.

The variety is great... for a couple of weeks.

I smoke while riding in the pedicabs so that I can give my lungs fresher air.

Yeah, not sure where they sleep, but they are out in force during the day.

Uh, huh, I would have replied to this post Friday night but I couldn't because my power was out. The next day it went out three more times. This happens quite regularly.

Don't drink the water!

9. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    My dear Robin, this is exactly what I did expect as reactions to your post.
    It's not only because of disagreement with (quite) some of your 'opinions' but also because we like to make a more complete picture of our situation here :wink:.
    And believe me ....their comments are not false, but maybe a bit dipped in a jolly sauce to show the contrary.
    But it's not THAT awefull as it may look because otherwise we should not be here :D

10. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Wow, interesting thread. Ive lived in Thailand for the last 5 years and have visited the PI quite a few times in that period. doing a lot of island hopping and such.

I'm planing on making a move to Duma next month. on the face of it, seems a nice place to live, everywhere has it's ups and downs and good and bad to it.

I think a lot of it depends on how YOU handle it.

Im an adventurous sort and love to go bike riding and exploring and doing my photography. I'm looking forward to that.

I'm not positive but I'm sure Ive seen some of you sitting out in front of Why Not in the mornings having some suds and coffee. Next time I'll introduce my self.

I'm the old fat guy wearing a doo rag hanging around my enormously huge friend, On My Way who is also on this board.

As far as the comments and observations on this thread, some I would agree with, some not, I guess I'll just have to walk my own road and come to those conclusions on my own.

I will say this. I love the food and restaurants in Duma. Some of the best food Ive had in the PI.