Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete the best City to live?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by robin50, May 26, 2010.

1. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Did someone lose their rose color glasses?

With only 3 posts on this board, I wonder if Robin50 is still in town.

2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    No guns??

What about that guy who was gunned down on his motorcycle in broad daylight close to the boulevard last year? The pictures of the aftermath were posted on Dumaguete Info. I think I was just a short distance away in Lee plaza when that happened.

What about the recent shooting at Timeout which left one dead and one wounded?

What about Rev Robinson being shot in the leg over a dispute in a parking lot?

There have been some other incidents as well but I can't remember the details. And that's just of what I have heard about.

Sure, the crime / violence may still be relatively lower, but gun free it's not.

3. PangitPilot

PangitPilot DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Good Point Dude, guns are every where in the Philippines. I guess my point is that you don't see them everywhere in your face in Dumaguete as much as a lot of the places up north. False sense of security or safety, maybe :(

Yeah, Philippines is still a bit like the Wild West days in America, disputes often solved permanently in the quickest manner possible.

We will never get away from that here, I guess.

Is there much in the way of political violence or robberies (banks or Stores) here??

Regards

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, for a city that small, the crime rate is not really low ... jut a few weeks ago the biggest jewelery -shop in Dumaguete was robbed

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    It seems as though the obvious targets are the ones who get robbed. A word to the wise.

6. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    No guns? I guess you have not been to a local bank yet. Those are not toys the local store security carry, they are the real thing. Most banks have at least 3 armed guards, sometimes more. They carry them so you do not have to I suppose. If you are not showing off your wealth with things like speed boats or non-Japanese cars you should be passed over as robbery victim. Sounds like you have been very lucky though.

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :eek: My Wife has reminded me about the American ex- service man that was shot outside Noreco2 not so long ago by an ex-policeman because he did not say sorry when he bumped into him in the Queue to pay his Electric.
    Now that is so sad.:(

Jack P. :confused:

8. bromofarnell

bromofarnell DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi roben50

im glad that you decided to stay here in dumaguete, some of your comments are right but sad to say,many of them are wrong.

9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Hi Robin are you still there?

If so, would you like to re open this topic? After over a year I would be curious to know if you still have the same observations or if some have
    changed.
    Ron

10. phomsanuk

phomsanuk DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone who can sail a boat, I'm assuming it's a small one, can handle anything.