Dumaguete Info Search

DumagueteInfo – Log in issues

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Rhoody, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Since about 2 weeks we got some reports about log in issues here on DI.
    Some might see a “connection error” message like below.

Network Error (tcp_error)
    A communication error had occurred "Operation timed out"
    The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try it at a later time.
    For assistance please contact your network support.

Our servers are up and running flawless.

After some research we found that this issue occurs mainly with certain IP addresses from globelines. None of them is blocked by our server-fire firewall. It appears to be a routing-issue of globe.

Globelines IP addresses are shared between uncountable user and many of them appear on spamming blacklists. (example: Stop Forum Spam - IP Check - 203.177.74.141)

While liquidweb (our server-hosts) are 24/7 up with a truly heroic customer service, there is no way to get any kind of communication regarding that issue with globe as of now.

Here is what you can do to provide us some data when that problem occurs. That helps us to handle that issue: (you might wanna copy the following as you can’t log in when it happens)

Get your own IP (What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address) and mail it to webmaster@dumagueteinfo.com with the date/time that error occurred.

Get a traceroute from your IP address to our server.

Take a screenshot of it and mail it to webmaster@dumagueteinfo.com with date and time. That way we can determine what happened on the way from your computer to our server.

A very easy to follow instruction how to get that here: How to Use Traceroute | Liquid Web Knowledge Base

At that point a big thank you to the members who reported that issue and specially to SteveB who spend an hour chatting with us, following our instructions and providing us that way very valuable information to find out where the problems are. We owe you a drink or 3…

Cheers

Rhoody

2. ajayver

ajayver DI Member Showcase Reviewer

WordPress developer, Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I've got that error - within two weeks the forum was unreachable. It is definitely Globe's error, so I tried to contact their support, and I couldn't find any working way to do it online, so we just came to their office and made a complain. After just a couple of hours the forum started to open and since then there was no problem. Globe even sent a guy the next morning to our house to confirm that dumagueteinfo.com is reachable and he told that they had a routing problem and they did fix it.

3. gypsy

gypsy DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    happens to me every now and then and not just with dumagueteinfo.com but also youtube and facebook. problem usually resolves itself by next day

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Definitely a long term Globe issue, we have been fighting this for nearly a year with our own website. Globe customer service is an absolute waste of time. We are currently changing web hosts to one that Globe seems to allow most of the time (Hostgator), and will be changing service providers soon. We never had problems like this with Smartbro.

A quick workaround to it that works most of the time is to log in through a proxy server. Google "free proxy server". Quick and easy.

Larry

5. PangitPilot

PangitPilot DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    This is still an issue, am on globe here in Dumaguete (3G and Globe Lines) Sat, Sun and Monday was getting the connection error (Only to DI). Also noticed severely degraded network responses. This morning, all was back to normal, good network speeds, but this afteroon, I am getting a download speed of 66K/sec whereas I was getting 250K/sec this morning

Reading previous posts, it sounds like Globe may be using a backup line somewhere for whatever reason and perhaps the routers do not handle some of the address destinations very well.

Rhoody, where are the servers actually sitting?? I had no issues with my servers in the states, Australia or Pampanga, first thing I checked ..

If I get it again, will do a tracert, etc and send on to you ..

I think I am about to change to Sky, have just about had enough of globe and their locked down network, I cannot even RDP into my home computer, have to use Teamviewer.

Cheers

6. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Like written before, the problem is caused by globes shared IPs nothing else, if you log in via a free proxy there is no issue.

DI is hosted with liquidweb, probably the best hosting-company money can buy at rpesenet.

7. ajayver

ajayver DI Member Showcase Reviewer

WordPress developer, Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I've found an easier way than using proxy for Globe ADSL Broadband customers:

First of all - save this short manual somewhere, because you will not be able to reach it when the problem occurs.

If dumagueteinfo.com is not reachable for you, but other sites are opening fine, then type http://192.168.1.1/ in your browser and press Enter. You will see your ADSL modem's admin page. Press "Disconnect" button, wait for 10 seconds and then press "Connect". This will change your dynamic IP address.

Wait for a minute or so and try opening DI again. If it is still not reachable, repeat the procedure written above.

If you switch off your modem and then turn it back on (like they suggest to do in customer care), it will not reset your IP. Only disconnecting through the admin interface can do it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Hello Rhoody

yesterday I had 5x new messages from DI menbers when i tried to reply they all disapeared, remaining in my inbox was the 8x old messages only

Brian

9. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Not sure how that happens, if it was send as a PM I can't reconstruct it.

If those were visitor messages, it could be that you got messages from "members" which are multiple times reported to us for spamming. From sales agents to commission hunters, etc. We usually delete this profiles and/or messages from our Admin panel without knowing where they "communicating" with.

Usually they return a few days later with another name and do the same again. we raised the bar that junior members can't send PM or post in classifieds, we probably will do the same for visitor messages and other sections.

Yes, it might hit a few "honest" people, but the last 5 years show clearly that a huge percentage of them are very untrustworthy. Sadly some members lost lost quite some valuable time and also money with those "I know somebody who knows something, call me"-messages.

cheers

Rhoody

10. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Hi Rhoody they were from DI members they were in my inbox but just went, oh well see if they send them again,
    tnx Brian