Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Duterte ends “Endo”

1. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I personally think ending ENDO is a great thing. An employer can still fire a bad employee at anytime but now have to watch out for bad employee's rather then just keep an eye out for that 1 really good employee while you cycle through tons of averages. However I do think their are a lot of poor workers out there and its hard to find a good one even if you offer good money. Have a business that goes through a couple of employee's and you'll see it. There are plenty of foreigners here with business's like Tommy, Ron, and a few others that pay pretty well especially when compared to competition and all of them will have stories of lots of bad workers who didn't last long. Sit on their phones every chance they get, never try and be friendly, outgoing, and cheerful to customers, never try and upsell, even ignoring customers until customers call and that's if they didn't do a no show or call in sick for work to go to the beach with friends on your busiest day of the week.

However employers should be the one watching out for bad employee's and you can even use other employee's to assist in it such as some of the longer term more loyal employee's. The 5 month thing was just about not paying full costs for an employee and thus getting cheaper labor.

Still though I'd like to see them address all the business's who don't comply with minimum wage and benefits even if its by going around and quietly auditing small and large business's employee's. Plus a look at some of the realities with a few of these business's where affording to pay their two workers 320p and benefits a day would kill said business likely (some of these cheap eateries and various others).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Working for sh*t/unethical companies sucks. Once you have established some work/contracting experience you can start to search out better employers. Sounds like you should be going online and throwing your CV out to every company (not headhunters) that is looking for employees and see if you get any that will bite.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Generally, working on contracts is more risky than being an employee....but can be far more rewarding and offer more personal freedom if you know what you are doing and if you are really good at your job. You have to know what you are signing and know how (and be in a position) to negotiate. This should not be the standard for low level/low skill work IMO.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Just my 10 cents on this as I said in a previous post many can get past the Interview with some Bio that is credible but are just not workers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    This is the common conception of it, but talking to small business employers, many have said its like a probationary period. After 5 months if the employee is still not learning and working hard and if you still find her hiding around the corner chatting on her cell phone then you let her go and find another before her 6 months is up.

It is possible that this is a Catch 22 - the employees don't work hard because they know they will be fired before 6 months and the bosses fire them before 6 months because they are not working hard. But the reality is that some people do get on full time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    • Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  7. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Me since the other day: “Oh please please God, let the lube lady accept my resignation today! I promise to endure the cheap lube for a month more as stated in the contract.” :hilarious:
    Truth is it can happen anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Yes they "could" but they "could" also be using this policy to create a lot more employment than they would otherwise create if they had to pay more money. Could is emphasized as we are just playing a guessing game here. In the past, the system was put in place to encourage businesses to give more jobs to more people. Fact is, a lot of people are working under these 6 month contracts that should have been fired long ago. Maybe its time to fire them all and work with a skeleton staff of hard workers. Would not hurt my feelings. I hate going into a retail store and having someone follow me around like a puppy dog. But I also hate seeing them hiding from the customers in a corner playing on their cell phones. I justify it, in my mind, that at least they have a pay check but most stores could get by on half the staff if they were workers not shirkers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Because traditionally, hiring a lot of employees for 6 months and letting the bad ones go at 5 or so months IS the vetting process. So how do you tell the difference between abuse of the system and vetting process. Quite simple. If the business owner is letting the employee go within 6 months and then a few months later hires that same employee back for another 6 months, THAT is abuse and it is where I agree with you. The ones that are let go and never hired back have been "vetted" IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Agreed, hence all my posts on the subject.

• Like Like x 2