Dumaguete Info Search

Duterte wants to open telecommunications,airwaves and energy

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by DavyL200, Nov 24, 2016.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    President Rodrigo Duterte said he wants to open the communications, media, and energy sectors to foreign players after attending the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Peru.

"My decision now, this moment, is bubuksan ko ang Pilipinas," Duterte said upon arriving at the Davao City International Airport.

He said he wanted to open these sectors "to new players to improve quality of service."

"I don't want to have a quarrel with the Ayalas and Pangilinan," Duterte said, later adding that he would walk back from his comments if the conglomerates running the country's telecommunications companies drove their prices down.

"Kung i-dive ninyo ang presyo ninyo, walang problema. I will forget my statement."

ERC issue

Duterte's comments come on the heels of his demand for officials of the Energy Regulatory Commission to resign after the suicide of director Francisco Villa Jr.

The late ERC director revealed the corruption activities within the ERC in his suicide notes.

"Corruption, unahin ko na lang. I'd like just to send this strong message. It's about time that we share the money of the entire country. To move faster, make the competition open to all," he said.

ERC officials have refused to heed his call.

In his speech, Duterte threatened to abolish ERC.

- See more at: After APEC: Duterte wants to open PHL telecoms, airwaves, energy sectors

• Like Like x 4
  2. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    If Duterte actually does this it will be a step in the right direction for this country to move foreward with the times and curtail the currupt companies who rule all of these monopolys with an iron fist.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    We can only Hope that his Congress is behind him to push this Through

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    These guys are pretty ballsy, the drug lords were too until Duterte said the 4 magic words... "You're on the list"

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Stupid move. everything will stay the same if globe etc. just lower their prices, which certainly will not lead to more bandwidth for anybody. Guess what's going to happen? LESS quality of service because they will squeeze even more people on the networks without investing in infrastructure, unless somebody is willing to live with a lower profit margin, which I think can be ruled out.

Instead they should either regulate the market, tax the hell out of them and honor infrastructure investments with lower taxes. Or open up the market unconditionally to force them to improve this way. But interestingly enough these conglomerates seem to frighten Duterte more than any drug lords.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    As my father used to say. Want in one hand and sh*t in the other. See which fills up first.

Good luck though. Anything which could capture some of that capital flight out of the Philippines would be a good thing. With all that peso falling to 50 to a dollar stuff. Er, wait, I like that. Stay away from investing in the Philippines!

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What about the next moment? Wouldn't that suck for a company to invest billions in infrastructure only to have it all pissed away when a senile old man changes his mind when he noticed he put his underwear on the backwards one morning? Less talk, more walk. Get some laws passed that protect investors.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. silverbullet

silverbullet Ring Ring. Who's calling? Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +76 / 14
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If they reduce their prices he may relinquish his statement? Hang on, I thought he wanted to improve the internet speed. Reducing the price has nothing to do with the internet speed. The Philippines will never have decent internet but it may become cheaper,hooray.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Telecommunications Commission on the number of cell sites for the telecommunication companies in relation to the number of their subscribers or consumers.

QUEZON CITY, Philipines — The House of Representatives has put on hold the franchise of 2 big telephone companies until their service improves.

According to the House Committee on Metro Manila Development, consumers are not getting the service they deserve with the telcos.

“Huwag muna natin sila bigyan ng mga franchise hangga’t hindi po nila naayos ang mga problema natin.”

(Let’s not give them first their franchise until they have not solve our problems.)

RELATED: Pres. Duterte warns telcos to fix its services

Smart Communications has 65 million subscribers all over the country and has 12,000 cell sites while Globe Telecom has 64 million subscriber with more than 7,000 cell sites.

According to the National Telecommunication Commission for every 1 thousand consumers there should be 1 cell site.

It turns out that the number of cell sites that serve million of subscribers is not proportionate and this was admitted by Smart and Globe.

Globe and Smart were also questioned about the slow internet service. Congress put on hold telco franchise

• Like Like x 1