Dumaguete Info Search

DV camcorder uses firewire but

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gabrielle_K, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    my camcorder has no firewire port !

I see posts online about various adapters, but my HP laptop doesn't have a slot either. I think I read about external hard drive with firewire port-can I use one of those?

- Looking for a solution

2. shakey

shakey DI Member Veteran Navy

economic refugee
    Ratings:
    +295 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O-
    The USB cable is the simplest solution. IF the camera has bluetooth built in a cheap bluetooth-USB adapter the the computer is another solution.

shakey

3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Wow, I didn't know those two technologies existed at the same time (camcorders and firewire). According to the Bible, dinosaurs and man were alive at the same time, so I guess weirder sh** has happened.

Here's your fix. Take a bunch of pictures of the thing you are taking a video of. Get the pictures developed or print them out. Then flip through the pictures rapidly. Make sure you have them in the correct order first. It's almost like video but no firewire required.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Sorry, I don't understand. If your camcorder doesn't have a firewire port and your computer doesn't have a firewire port, then why do you need firewire?

5. shakey

shakey DI Member Veteran Navy

economic refugee
    Ratings:
    +295 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O-
    A bit of history should be noted about the development of IEEE 1394/Firewire. It is a Steve Jobs jobbie with Apple Computer which requires a royalty to be paid to Apple whenever a device (phone, camera, cable etc) is enabled or connected. It is super fast even by today's standards. On top of that it is expensive to add the circuit to devices. Do you ever think Apple will come out with a cheap anything? The circuit has been around since 1999 so it isn't new.

USB version 2 and now version 3 are approaching the speed of IEEE 1399/Firewire and don't require anyone to pay royalties. Firewire and USB are simply transport systems to move data.

Your camcorder may have remote capabilities and near time live viewing from a laptop or desktop. The ability to do this and other amazing things relies on software provided by the camera/camcorder manufacturer which general enable remote control of most functions you have holding the camera. These remote functions work over almost any type of transport system between devices.

The software may or may not be tested with your computers operating system. Check your camera/camcorders download page to see what is available.

shakey

6. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    Oops I should have said my computer has no fire wire port. But the camcorder does.

Threads about this subject online say that though some devices that use USB connection claim to fix the problem, there really haven't been any that actually work