Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia Earthquake or Explosion in Valencia?

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by Rye83, Mar 7, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Most of the time there is a bit of warning before volcanoes blow their tops. More earthquakes, ground shifting, minor eruptions, etc. Talinis is labeled a dormant volcano for a reason I believe. I guess anything could happen though.

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Still surprising they have no monitoring instruments up there though,the only monitor seems to be near the airport at police head quarters.
    A volcano can be dormant for thousands of years and can come back to life,and we all know it's not far below the surface from Valencia-zambongita due to the sulphur vents.
    There used to be a guy on the forum who was involved in the test wells at different sites in the early 80's,can't remember what his user name was but he was knowledgeable about the subject.

3. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Actually according to Wikipedia maybe not dormant? (I know it's not Gospel) : Mount Talinis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Geology
    Cuernos de Negros is classified by the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology as a potentially active volcano forming part of the Negros Volcanic Belt. Andesite and basalt are the most abundant rocks found on the mountain. With a base diameter of 36 kilometres (22 mi), the volcanic complex is composed of several volcanic cones and peaks, the most prominent of which are Talinis, Cuernos de Negros, Guinsayawan, Yagumyum Peak and Guintabon Dome.[4] The mountain range is very fumarolic with several solfataras and steam vents located on its slope that are harnessed to generate electricity. The Southern Negros Geothermal Production Field in Palinpinon generates 192.5 MW.[5][6]

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    On a completely unrelated note....I have NOT been sending people to youtube to learn how to make Nitroglycerin.
    Maybe someone WAS trying to make an IED. There is no shortage of dumbass in the world, it isn't confined to rednecks.

• Funny Funny x 3