Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: ELABORATE SCAM

1. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    I have watched 100's of scam bait videos over the last decade or so. I am actually keen on the processes to clean the scammers out, or lock their own computers thanks to the following 2 Youtube Channels. Waiting about 5 years now and still no call or email from them. My 2 faved channels. The opening video on 2nd link is similar to what happend to Dave. Sorry to hear about that!
    https://www.youtube.com/@MoreKitboga < Faved scammer payback channel
    Similar scam as OP

If a scammer gets into your computer remotely, they could:
    • Crawl your hard drive for sensitive data, passwords, and photos. Scammers will quickly collect anything they can use to withdraw money from bank accounts, steal your identity, or extort you for money.
    • Install invasive malware or spyware. Scammers can establish ongoing access to your computer without you even knowing it. They do this by installing add-ons or programs onto your computer that continually steal sensitive information or mask what they’re doing behind the scenes. So what you see on the screen isn’t what’s actually happening.
    • Commit identity theft. With all the personal information that they find on your computer, scammers will have everything they need to steal your identity.
    • Hold your information hostage. Hackers can download what’s called “ransomware” onto your computer. It locks all of your files unless you pay a ransom.
    • Sell your information on the Dark Web. People who commit fraud and theft on the Internet often make use of the Dark Web. This hidden illegal marketplace is a hotspot for scammers and hackers who buy and sell.
    • RECOVERY AND CLEANUP PROCESS https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ort-scam-67bd120e-26b6-d314-d037-e0c51b41d6d1

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Better get in touch with Wise asap also Dave, they may still be able to halt any transfer made. Call them if you have to, it's important you get in touch asap.
    Your bank may be lenient and reimburse you for money lost, but they may also take the position that you brought this upon you yourself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I was got at this morning there was me thinking they would not get me easy, but they played me well, starts with an Early morning call to my land Line, the caller asks if I purchased an Iphone from Amazon for £799 to which I say no, ok they say this is blocked by us as we were suspicious, they tell me the fault lies with my security system and they can help me this so this lady passed me on to Amazon security, there they had me downloading a small programme called Anydesk, where they were able to control my Laptop, then I am directed to my Amazon accounts page to enable me to remove this fake order, this has me breathing a sigh of relief, not knowing they had me? then it is suggested they can upgrade my security system to one which is called rapport or a name of that nature, my Bank has offered me this in the past, but having a paid for subscription to Avast already installed I had thought I was fairly safe? I should say I am not all that computer savvy, but almost weekly will get some form of scam email, usually this is easy to recognise by the weird email address it is from, I block the sender and then delete them, up till now I have never been taken in.

Then they cut all ties to my laptop telling me I am on my own with it and to check my bank account, sure enough there is £799 returned to me from Amazon and the amount in my account has been raised by this same amount, I had checked this last night and did know how much should be there, however the original transaction had never been debited from the account so I was 799 better off, the security man rings me back and takes over my machine again, when asked how my account was plus the 799 from the day before he gave some explanation of how this is common with a delay in the payment system but quite normal and would be adjusted by the end of that day. by this time they had this cupid old stunt hook line and sinker.

So they then ask what other accounts I may have, to which I say none but use wise to transfer money abroad, the he says they will install this rapport on my wise account which they were able to open without me, all during our conversation my screen was darting about all over the place, to my bank account then to wise and other things sometimes it being held for a time and this guy telling me exactly what I should be seeing at any given time and showing a screen to say it was with a Tech Upgrade Guy, most of the screens were on view for just a fraction of a second, but I did notice an unusual name Vyene Yak pop out at me on my wise account, this happened twice in just a few mins, on the second time I switched off and hung up the phone, the penny had dropped, then I was in touch with my Bank Security as it happened, they had already blocked a couple of transactions but let a couple through and £1000 had been gotten at, if the Scammers had managed to string me along a bit longer they may have cleaned me out, the bank has sent me a claims form however will they find me responsible for allowing an unknown to take over my laptop?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    My sympathies Dave
    I had two scams tried this week saying they were from BT,
    I didnt give any information out and immediately dial 1471, which gave me their number and quickly reported it to the real BT
    My advice for future reference is, especially if it's a recorded message to begin with, put the phone down and dial 1471 which in some cases will give you the number who rung you.
    ( some clever Bar=stewards hide their number to prevent that happening )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1