Dumaguete Info Search

Exit Plans

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Rye83, May 13, 2016.

1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    That's just because you weren't wearing something sexy.

2. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    I vote we ban motor vehicles, cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

THE NUMBERS: Annual deaths* from –

Cause World Wide United States
    Traffic Accidents 1,240,000 33,561
    Homicide 437,000 16,259
    Military conflict 55,000 127

I am working on the number of bottle related deaths also.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Sure I was, I was wearing shiny black boots!

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Ban motor vehicles, cars, trucks, and motorcycles??? I say we get to the REAL root of the issue.... and ban all PEOPLE!!!! With no people, no one will be killed. :woohoo:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    You sir are in luck! That is a solution that will come to pass in time, all we have to do is be patient and the next dinosaur killer will wipe us out. It is the perfect solution because it doesn't require a consensus.:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I'm actually wondering now if my English is really that bad. All your examples, while indeed deadly from time to time, serve an original purpose that's not deadly, which sets them clearly apart from guns.

7. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I apologize for oversimplifying, of course there are some more or less valid uses of firearms. Just not so many that it justifies 'guns for everybody' in my book. Both Biathlon and hunting shouldn't be very big issues here in the Philippines anyway, and for sports you don't need to carry the gun around with you or keep it in your home.

I'd never suggest to take away any drugs from anybody. Quite the opposite, if you ask me they could legalize weed and what not right away. Less reason for crime, less need for weapons, less pain for everybody.

I seriously doubt Nigeria or Mexico would be better off if there would be even more guns because they relaxed their laws. These countries and many others for sure have a long way to go but giving guns to everybody would be a step in the wrong direction.

I'm sure you can manufacture your own ammunition as well, but I'm afraid that doesn't matter much since there's maybe only 1 in 10000 Filipinos who can do the same, if at all, and of them only a fraction will be really interested in living the "free" life in the woods NPA style with their self made weapons. That door to door thing might certainly be easier here than in some parts of the US... That it's hard to do does not mean it's not worth trying.

I'm not entirely sure if control of the government through a mob with firearms is such a great idea. Maybe it was 300 years ago. *They* do have the monopoly on force anyway, wether you have a gun or not - also and especially in the US. They simply come prepared because they know that you might have a gun, and they will shoot first if in doubt, even if it's just a kid holding a toy gun. Not the world I want.
    There was a time when regular police in the UK carried no firearm by the way, not sure if in these times of constant fear of "terror" this is still the case - most probably not.

Personally I don't feel like I'd need a gun here or any other place I've been before in order to be treated fair or to defend my rights against anybody. And even if I wouldn't be treated fair in some case, having a gun certainly won't make things better. Seriously, what do you want to do with the gun if there's some cops in front of your house to arrest you for whatever reason valid or not? They may be corrupt or not, you cannot simply point the gun at them and hope they go away.

I tend to get along with people very well so I don't have much reason to be uncomfortable. I was just suggesting that minimizing the presence of guns here in the philippines would be a better step to reduce homicide than a liquor ban at 1am. If I'm ever killed by a gun I couldn't care less if it was a self made shotgun or some sophisticated sniper rifle. But I know for sure that having my own gun at home (who would carry that around in this heat all the time where most people don't manage to carry around a helmet?) wouldn't save me.

Btw, when I was writing this initial little sentence about taking away the guns I was really just thinking about all those armed door openers / parking lot guards at malls etc - I do believe they do more harm than good since anybody wanting to run amok or take some hostages doesn't even need to bring a gun since there's already plenty in place. Heck in Quezon City they guard the Starbucks with a shotgun, for what? I refuse to believe that any of these underpaid guys will risk their life defending my wallet if there would be really some kind of 'everybody on the floor this is a robbery!'. Best case they will simply surrender their gun, worst case they start shooting, robber shoots back and you get a blood bath. So what do they carry it around for again? To protect me against a robber with a pocket knife?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    In the end does bars closing at 3am and no drinking in public after I think he said 1am really end the world or even destroy the country? I agree to an extend on drinking in public places (not like that would ever really happen though for the most part). However closing bars and establishments that serve alcohol at 3am, is that really the end of the world? Is it something to really leave the Philippines over?

Consider that EVERY country out there in some way or another tramples on *rights* by someones perspective or has something seen as a bit harsh but for the most part is accepted because its how its been for a long time and maybe all they have known. Where else to go where we can get all the *rights* we want yet get all the protections we want as well? That place simply does not exist. Does anyone think they would be better off returning home or moving to a different country just because of this?

Now in the end each thing has its negatives and its positives.
    No drinking in public gives less influence to minors to drink. It leaves common public drinking places a bit cleaner as well. It presents a better image to tourists and children vs seeing a bunch of drunks drinking wildly at a park or boulevard for example. It also helps ensure that no group of drunks are being loud disorderly drunks late at night across the street from your house sitting on the street corner. The cutback is only that you as a drinker has a little less personal freedom as where to drink. Bars closing at 3am in ways does lower alcohol consumption for some and as a result will also lower the alcohol related injuries and deaths. It also in more rural areas where they aren't the enclosed outside quiet type places like major city bars helps make sure neighbors can get proper sleep and have less of a risk of late night drunken issues with customers of said bar. But again it infringes on a business's operating hours rights and customers rights to drink where they want.

So really, is it really an end of the world sort of issue? Further we don't even know yet if such would be able to be passed as a President may be able to get away with an Executive Order on no drinking in public places (think any would enforce it though?) that same President would need Congress to pass a law closing bars at 3am and I'm doubtful Congress would get that through.

9. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    You kind of made my point for me why I personally don't need a gun in the Philippines, God bless em!

You are right that probably there are not that many interested in making a firearm...at the present with the abundant supply. If they became unavailable, I bet I could fill a few classrooms, strictly as a public service. The advanced class would be chemistry. You are absolutely correct that I could make ammunition, should I have to. I'm good like that.

The foreigners who are murdered are usually murdered at home, alone. Mainly I believe it is because it causes a stink when it is done in public, not that it makes much difference.

When the majority of Filipinos agree with you, it will be time for me to figure out my exit strategy so I think I am safe putting off thinking about it for the next couple lifetimes.:biggrin:

10. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128

See, I told you so. look at this. Another bottle attack. We need to ban bottles. Use plastic bags for drinks. It's probably hard to beat someone to death with a bag. But, " One never knows, do one ? "
    A mob of up to 30 men and women brutally attacked a man with glass bottles in San Francisco’s South of Market district early Friday, leaving him clinging to life, police said.

The man, described as being between 20 and 25 years old, was attacked in an industrial area near Harrison and Harriet streets that’s lined by auto shops and big parking lots.

See the most-read stories this hour >>

Police citing witnesses said that between 15 and 30 men and women “were seen kicking and punching the victim in the face and body, knocking the victim unconscious” about 2:40 a.m. Others described the group as using glass bottles.

• Agree Agree x 1