Dumaguete Info Search

expats in bike accident

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by alex, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    In your hypothetical situation the alcoholic made a sober decision to drive to a bar. Yes, the bar owner shares some responsibility for allowing him to get as drunk as he did and for putting him on his vehicle but the alcoholic knew d*mn well why he was going to that bar and he should be held responsible for his actions. The "disease" (and I really have a hard time agreeing that addiction a disease) does not give the person a pass on responsibility.

An alcoholic is not the same as a 5y/o child. It is in no way comparable. Addiction does not turn people into brainless zombies that are only interested in drinking beer, snorting powder or lighting up the pipe. Addicts do sober up, they do know right from wrong and they do know what drugs do to them and the people around them. Being weak/incapable of controlling themselves does not excuse addicts from their actions. I've personally felt addiction try to take over, I've heard the thoughts the mind thinks when it desires a substance or when a problem comes up and the only reasonable solution seems like drugs. I see how it can be a very slippery, and steep, slope but you need to have a bit of sense and know when to back away from whatever substance is starting to control your thoughts and actions. Addiction is not something that blind sides you and changes your life permanently (unlike an intoxicated driver on the road), it's gradual.

I have no sympathy for the intoxicated driver and I'd expect no one to have any for me if it were me who was behind the wheel intoxicated. I have never thought about suicide but the shame I would feel knowing I killed an innocent person because I made myself lose control could very well bring me to it. The only sympathy I have for alcoholics is that their drug of choice is perfectly legal and available almost everywhere they go.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I think there are a few ways to look at that tragic event. From a selfish point of view, a person driving who was allegedly that drunk could have killed me or my family members so I don't like that. From a sympathetic point of view, it is very sad the person's alleged drinking routine and lifestyle led to his death as well as another's, regardless what occurred. From a responsibility point of view, my opinion is it is shared between the drunk person and Flip Flops, based on the posted details.
    So if the DI Forum event will be held at Flip Flops I will not attend. I am not asking for support or agreement or for a change of venue. Just expressing my personal opinion. Merry Christmas all and be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    For whatever reason FF was busier today at 2pm than I've ever seen it

4. OP
    OP
    alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    I agree pat0, but as i understand it he was at flips only a short time yes they should have stopped him. maybe we can hold our party at why nott who got him drunk in the first place they also should have taken his keys. merry xmas m8

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I can understand Pats point of view and I can commend the thought But If we treat all Bar owners the same way we would none of us, have any where to Hold a Function, People get Stupid but that's a fact of life. People should take responsibility for their own actions. Not deny people because of it.
    I understand that people Did in fact try and Stop this guy But..........
    I am of course very Sorry for the other Guy and Condolences to his family.
    As we say and it is more Prevalent, coming from a non religious man, "With the grace of God go we!" or do I mean Good Luck?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I believe "G" that is down to just plain Morbid Curiosity, Folk are "Fickle" at times and at others Curious.

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Okay, so what do you suggest as the path forward?

8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Don't drink and drive, take a trike. Merry Christmas everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    You follow your own conscience Pat, I suggest nothing. It has been going on too long for any of us to Put right but I will not let it mire my Life.
    A little like Not following a doctors advice and Diagnosis, You suffer, that's all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I know it seems a bit extreme but perhaps people could take responsibility for their own actions. The Philippines is a libertarian's dream, unfortunately, with that comes a higher level of personal accountability. People need to accept that if they don't care about themselves there isn't going to be anyone around to do it for them. It is a bit unrealistic to think that bars are going to change their business models any time soon.

• Agree Agree x 2