Dumaguete Info Search

Electronics & Appliances Extended use UPS/Solar Batteries?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by AlwaysRt, Jul 2, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    So what would be the most economical way to have a UPS with a 1 to 2 hour runtime? A fan would help heat some but upgrading the transistors should reduce the amount of heat produced to start with. Still left with the charging problem though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Opposite which Robinsons? If you mean across the intersection from Robinson Mall, the battery place Motolite has deep cycle batteries but not the maintenance free batteries.

I have decided to use and now on the hunt - in Dumaguete 'Metro' LOL area a 12v 200Ah sealed lead acid AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) deep cycle battery. So far I have found one at Handyman, downtown Robinsons but at p20,000 it is overpriced. They look like this:

JSL II TF200 12V-200Ah LEAD ACID BATTERY

4. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Great links, Brian, thanks. If the outages get any longer than a few hours I will have to do something else but right now I just bought a rechargeable light and fan that comes on automatically and use a laptop. The laptop runs for almost 4 hours on its' own battery. The modem I have is a Globe wireless and it runs on 12 volts DC. I happened to have a plug that fit the Modem from a universal computer power supply I bought once. I just put a lead and clips on the plug and I can run the Globe modem on my motorcycle battery and have. The Modem will run on any 12 volt battery. The size of the battery determines how long. The Modem draws 1 Amp. If the motorcycle is running it will run the modem until it runs out of gas and then some. A motorcycle headlight draws more than 1 Amp. I could use a bigger deep cycle battery I suppose and recharge it a few hours a day. If things get worse I will have to drop back and punt. As it is, the only complaint is from the Asawa objecting to the motorcycle running in the bedroom. Maybe I should run the leads out the window.............. naaaaaaaaa.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If you are just wanting to run your router and laptop the UPS I have now will do what you want. It is an APC 650 UPS I bought at Octagon upstairs in Robinson Mall. Have your laptop and router plugged into it, not only for brownouts but electrical line power fluctuations as it has a builtin AVR (automatic voltage regulator). When a brownout happens, unplug your laptop (no idea what your laptop draws to keep the battery charged but will shorten your UPS time whatever it is) and the UPS should run your router longer than your 4 hour laptop battery. Happy wife, surge protection and simple brownout strategy to keep your laptop on the internet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Yes that was the place motolite.
    They look the same sort of batterys globe use in their junction boxes on the side of the highway.

7. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Ok, thanks. Yup they have the no maintenance car batteries (startup/crank batteries good for short high output like starting an engine but not so much for long slow discharge and should not be drained more than 50% capacity) but for deep cycle they only have the wet/flooded (need to check and add water when required). They suggested going to Cebu for the sealed AGM deep cycle battery I am looking for which is not so good for cranking but is good for long term holding a charge and can be drained to 20% capacity.

I know that is much more of a reply than you needed but wanted to put the information out there as I am learning.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Have you tried that solar power company in banilad?

9. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    No, do you have directions to get me close? I did find out/was reminded the guy at the airport who does solar does the grid tie in method and doesn't use batteries so that scratched him off the list.

10. DavyL200

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    This is the guys and have batteries. Solar Power Co. - Visayas, Philippines

Coming south from town it on left side on a slight left curve in the road.prob a couple kms past shell gas stn

• Thanks Thanks x 1