Dumaguete Info Search

Electronics & Appliances Extended use UPS/Solar Batteries?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by AlwaysRt, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    If you have a lot of issues with the quality of the electrical power in your area why not consider a high quality server UPS for your house? (They are expensive but still cheaper than replacing damaged equipment over and over.) For a clean voltage regulations you need the so called online version and a working ground wire. The later is also required for anti power surge plug boards to be able to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Because I can source the parts (battery, inverter, charger) myself and avoid 1,000+% markup manufactures of UPSs charge. This would be much easier if I was in Manila.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The UPS/AVR I bought for the PC is working fantastically often clicking away which I have worked out is connected to Brown-outs and (the more it clicks) impending Blackout. However; when I first connected it, the first few days I was getting pissed off with the incessant beeping until I read the Manual (Duh!) and found the UPS/AVR must be plugged directly to the Power outlet or via a quality Extension cable, NOT into a Surge Board (which I assumed might offer extra protection) and despite a $50.00AUD Price tag and blurb about replacing $250,000.00 worth of equipment my Surge Board has done absolutely NOTHING to help protect my equipment.

The Server AVR I bought for the TV also is working as promised *touch wood*... :muted:

*I see no provision for an Earth cable on my expensive Surge Board and would be somewhat worried to employ someone here to fit one, I assume it is the 'Online' versions you mentioned that have provision for an extra Earth Wire?

4. Dr. Shiva

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    A voltage regulation and a surge protection needs a working ground wire, which is missing in most two pin layout as used in US. Even if the outlet have three pins it is not sure if there is really a ground wire connected to the third pin. Test it with a circuit tester to check if the ground wire is working.
    I had once an occurance of a near hit of a lightning into a power line. The improvised ground wire saved most equipment as the surge passed through the UPS surge protection. With no working ground wire it would have resulted in the loss of all electronical equipment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Not really use to this 2-wire setup but in my way of thinking compared to the Australian 3-wire setup it makes me wonder why the do not ditch the 2-wire in favour of the 3-wire setup which I assume has a built-in Earth :o o:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dr. Shiva

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Not only this but there are several different plugs available on the world. Why not make one plug a worldwide standard? The small swiss plug would be a nice candidate for one. Or why not use the unit plug as found at your PC or your monitor a worldwide standard?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Is that the European one?

8. Dr. Shiva

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    No. The european one is round. The one I mean can you see at the power supply of your PC.

• Like Like x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  9. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The new cable I received with the new PC I bought last week has a plug similar to the Power Supply Plug at the back of the PC, looks like a round Pin for the Earth and flat for the Neutral and Positive wires. Never seen a plug like that one before, thankfully I had already purchased a universal Power board from Unitop that accepted that style of Plug otherwise I would have been stuck with the 2-Pin only outlets I have here.

Same as this;
    [​IMG]

10. Dr. Shiva

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    That what you show is the rare US 3-pin layout. The plug I mean are called appliance coupler and are used world wide.

• Informative Informative x 1