Dumaguete Info Search

Exterior Window Film - Reflect heat from sun.

Discussion in 'Property Development' started by SkipJack, May 3, 2021.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Agree - anything stopping some of the sun's rays entering the house is best. But I have tinted windows and use thick curtains. The sun penetrating a room will fade fabrics - so the curtains may be a cheaper option to replace occasionally. Curtains can be black-out types and can even be doubled. I have no figures to prove this but it seems intuitive that the sun warming the curtains and the heat from the curtains then slowly dispersing into the room must be better than the sun's rays directly entering the room and immediately heating up the air molecules therein.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    We have to large bedrooms that lead onto a balcony facing East. Soon as the sun rises it shines on those windows/doors, double sliding doors.
    We have doubled up on the curtains but still gets warm and they have tinted glass. Soon as the sun has passed over I open the doors to let the heat out.
    I'm going to get the reflective film that Skipjack mentioned, seen some on lazada.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2021
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Let us know how you found the application of this film - or if someone did it for you (possibly the guys who fits tints to car windows). Btw, I know that as a painter and decorator you will be highly skilled at 'cutting in' but don't know if that skill replicates into cutting film on windows. Although I have tinted glass and thick curtains, I am keen to add anything that further reduces sun penetration. In fact, I had some windows taken out and replaced with concrete - some houses just have too much glass.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Good idea, thinking about doing the same. Bedroom doors are the sliding type two large glass doors. Same as Patio doors in the UK. Never used them yet. I can get on the balcony using the landing door if I wanted to. Looked good on the blue-print at the time.