Dumaguete Info Search

Eye Exam/Optical Shops

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Texsinbad, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Texsinbad

Texsinbad DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had my precription glasses stolen in a bag about 8 months ago and have been using my "backup" pair, but I think it is time to get an eye exam and new glasses made.

Anyone had any experience/knowledge of where to get a a good eye exam and glasses made?

Thanks

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    I have tried 2, Vintage in Ever mall ( also Robinson's) and Santiago's, (next to Uni top.) Both are good and evenly priced. Waiting time to be tested about 20/25 mins depending on the time you go. both have good staff and are attentive. Despensining time to finish about 1 day again depending on time you go there. They both have there own workshops and technicians. There are many others but these 2. I have dealt with

JP

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I have also heard good stories about the shop outside Hypermart.
    Ron

4. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    I have used Santilian, opposite Matiao with about the same experience as Jack is describing...

5. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Same here, seconded.

6. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Same here, thirded..hehehehe. Santilan has been here for years and even after having to move 2 or 3 times they are still in business.

7. Vicmico

Vicmico DI Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Any experience getting a bifocal? I need a new one and decided to wait until I'm in Duma as the cost of a new one here in The Neth's almost equals the cost of two single airline tickets Amsterdam - Manila...........

Vicmico

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Bifocals are available from both Outlets I posted, I have moved on to Varifocals now 3.500 for the lenses. I have them put in my own Frame. just as a guide, Frames are from about 1.500p to 6/7.000p depending on your choice. I paid about 2.750p for my bifocal lenses 3 years ago. I just was not happy with them (I found driving Difficult) so i moved on. Have to admit that the varifocals are a challenge too.

JP.
    ( other prices Quoted, are from 18 months ago but I am sure, costs have not escalated dramatically.)

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Im running on my last set of contacts and I will be going to this place for replacements. I'll post my experience once I decide to get up off my butt and go (which will be when my contacts completely deteriorate).

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not to get off subject but does anyone know of a place here that does lasic eye surgery that has a good rep?