Dumaguete Info Search

Face Shields

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Always a Poppy, Aug 21, 2020.

1. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well thanks for that explanation rye. i am in the same demographic and will turn 78 next month. just have a different view of it i suppose. i have decided to back off a bit on the covid topic. i really have no desire to offend anyone here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Not so! Just offering a point of view which I believe will go to help save lives. Not mne. Other people. I'm over 80 and done my bit. Have other issues with health than Corona but people out there are being misled into not wearing asks simply based on some stupid notion that because it wont stop a virus on its own then dont wear one. Stupid stupid stupid. If one gets through, tough but the percentages are in favour of that one not getting through. WEAR A MASK!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I was responding to you and your belief specifically, not the majority, because I feel the majority does not share your beliefs. Very few would go into the isolation/avoidance mode.

We will just agree to disagree on this. I think we both know where each of us is on it, and in the grand scheme, it will change nothing.

In other words, maybe enough said on this dead horse.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Yes @Rye83, as you say there is a minority of the people who are reacting in fear.

There is also a minority of the people who disagree with the leaderships actions to reduce covid. This minority will not accept the advice from "respected" epidemiologists. The same "respected" epidemiologists that the current leadership is hearing and understanding. This minority lacks personal intellectual accountability.

Finally there is the majority of the people who, with personal intellectual accountability, evaluate the whole situation and express their opinion quietly.

Thankfully, due to the miracle of democracy, the majority with personal intellectual accountability are winning.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    In the meantime, those of us taking a balanced view on the whole thing will continue to evaluate what we should/should not do and what is reasonable -e.g. wearing masks IS beneficial to your contacts IF you are a virus carrier; washing hands and distancing ARE sensible and easy to do safeguards; bending the rules a little and continuing to go out if over 60 IS beneficial to both self and the local economy etc.. All are known facts. There does not have to be one polarised position on this (nor members getting snotty with each other because they disagree, but that's life, I guess).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    You missed out an important point. Masks are beneficial both ways. If you dont want to be infected, protect yourself. If you want to reduce the risk of infecting someone else, simply because the symptoms are not immediately self apparent, protect the other person. Masks work both ways. not 100% but its the best you have at the moment other than self isolate and you can always be sure that will work either because of what the other idiot is likely to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    you are just too funny.... but some of us see through you ..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just FYI. Went to the BPI on the Veterans Ave, across from Silliman close to the PNB. Sign said "No shield no entry". I told the Guard that I just wanted to use the ATM that was inside but not inside the actually customer area. That was okay with my mask.

So no face shield within the area but not in the actual transaction place is okay, even though everyone that has to go into the transaction section has to pass by the ATM area.

Somehow this makes sense to people? Only in the Philippines and in some people's minds that don't live here in Negros Oriental I guess.

9. OP
    OP
    Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Looking at Ceres passing by today, I'd estimate 60% not wearing face shields. Buses as far as I knew are the only mandatory place they should be worn.

10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I think in the Dumaguete area, which this Forum mostly covers, no one has currently any need to feel scared. I think many are cautious (which obviously I agree with) but with zero local transmission, there is currently more chance of being hit by a driver with a new car ( :wink: ) than of dying from Covid-19.

The people who defend using PPE as a means to protect themselves (as it does - contrary to other viewpoints here), are also advocating its use to stop infecting others. So why would they write all of this if they live in an almost zero-risk area (except for that car driver!)? I believe it is because they care about people and are expressing broad views relating to Dumaguete, The Philippines and the World. Obviously, there IS a risk that the virus could appear in their locality and infect them BEFORE the presence of the virus is known, so they are just reacting to 'what if' - as people do in most situations ('What if' I lose my job - should I have some emergency savings? 'What if' there are burglars about - should I add security to my home?). There is nothing wrong with caring about other people and caring about oneself - both (especially in a societal species) are what evolution had led to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1