Dumaguete Info Search

Facebook tap to retry

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by KINGCOLE, Jun 6, 2020.

1. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am not able to access FB via their app, but it says " tap to retry ". If I enter via FB via Google it works OK. I just wondering if I'm being monitored for some of my posts. Does anyone know how to cure this problem.

2. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    uninstall and reinstall

3. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    and always always always use a vpn , they are free, 1st thing everytime, open the vpn

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I sometimes get the same thing. What I do is copy my post, then repost in a new comment on the same topic and it shows up with no problem. Good luck.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    A VPN does nothing to protect your identity or data from Facebook. They know exactly who you are and what your interests are. The only thing VPNs are good for is watching Netflix in different regions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Protonmail does a free VPN (also an end-to-end encrypted free email service) and for paid VPN it is worth considering ExpressVPN and NORD.

DuckDuckGo is a search engine which does not retain your search results (wink wink).

Malwarebytes does what is says and will do it in real time if you pay, else you have to manually scan.

7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Nord is good and a good price for 3 yrs

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Yes - and I saw today Groupon doing a voucher. Also be aware that depending on which bank you use (i.e. the country you are paying from) VAT may be added.

9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Netflix (and other service providers) are however actively working against that - they try hard to detect your use of a VPN and, if they think you do, you get nothing. Generally you run the risk to fall into a 'sketchy user, probably tries to hide something' category when large service providers that have the scale and infrastructure to detect or at least make an educated guess about your use of a VPN try to prevent fake accounts / abuse of their services. Just a thing to keep in mind when you're wondering one day why something isn't working the way it should.

Besides hiding your real geographical location, the other (some might argue, more relevant) use case for using a VPN is to hide your history of visited sites / servers you connected to from your internet provider and whoever is sniffing around in their data centers. Which would be mostly law enforcement / three letter agencies etc. But, in such cases, a VPN is only part of the solution, not a 100% safeguard. If "they" are after you, you need more than just a VPN...

Most definitely you don't want to use a "free" VPN in any case that's more serious than watching Netflix, because in that case, you (or at least your browsing history) are actually the product that's being sold to someone else. But Facebook users are familiar with that deal already I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  10. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    They have discovered every VPN I have used in the past...