Dumaguete Info Search

Facebook tap to retry

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by KINGCOLE, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    May I ask why always, always, always use a VPN?

I never use a VPN in The Philippines. Used to when I was in China, but that was to get access to all the blocked sites.

Then I also have a photo of me here, whilst hardly anyone else does.

Am I being too lax? Or are there a lot of paranoid people on this forum?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    I agree - I also have a photo of me here but many seem not to want to. But that is their freedom.

The use of VPN and other measures are, I believe, to help reduce the gathering of information by big tech companies who sell it on. There are members here who will know much more about computer security than I do but I think anyone not using a firewall and anti-virus is being very unwise and adding other measures which cost little, or nothing, to frustrate the gathering of personal information, is worth considering.

3. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    As was said before, a VPN does little more than hide your geographical location from the sites you visit, and hide the sites you visit from your provider and any 3rd parties tapping into the 'wire' somewhere between you and the VPN server you connect to. A VPN does not protect you from malicious emails and websites, and also not from being tracked and served targeted ads throughout the web.

If you want to do something for your privacy, use a browser that respects your privacy (that would be Firefox), activate it's tracking protection, use it's private browsing feature and, from time to time, wipe all browsing data that aggregated over time (Firefox has a setting to do so whenever you close the program).
    That is inconvenient because you will have to log in to each and every site again, but that's also a good sign because when sites forgot you were logged on, that means these sites, plus any other sites that try to track you, also 'forgot' who you are and what pages you've been on before. Get a good password manager and use it's autofill shortcut key to quickly log in to sites, instead of staying logged in everywhere all the time. Also a password manager helps establish the good habit of having a different (strong) password on every single site where you log on.

Also, dont use Google but an alternative search engine like startpage.com or duckduckgo.com, both of which will serve google quality results, but without building a profile of you by tracking you across the whole net. The second biggest offender is Facebook - they know who you are because you logged into facebook, and they recognize you on every other webpage that has some kind of facebook integration. Always use facebook in a private browsing session.

4. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    My first posting went weird - it posted the quotes and replies together. Must be my fault BUT in my defence, my asawa interrupted me to ask me to squeeze her lemons. (But now I corrected the first one, so two identical postings until I get the clever Mr R to delete one for me). What is about wives and squeezing their lemons!!!

What do you think of BRAVE as a browser? Btw, most (BRAVE, Firefox, Opera, Safari) have a private mode. Even so, private mode still collects information.

I am no expert on this but it concerns me to have ALL my passwords on one site, protected by ONE password! I know password managers with a very good password are suppose to be secure but is anything 100%?

I have used DuckDuckGo for many years and am pleased with it. People really need to think very carefully before using google.

Am I correct that private mode will not store cookies etc after you close the browser BUT that Facebook (and other spies) will still gather all the data they can from you?

5. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Private mode will not store third party tracking cookies. Therefore Facebook (and Google, etc.) will not be able to track you when you visit other sites that have their assets embedded on the page.

6. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If you are so concerned about privacy why are you using Facebook? Haven't you see the conversation a young Mark Z. had with a friend over instant messenger back when he was in college? According to Esquire magazine it went as follows:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-n...led-people-who-handed-over-their-data-dumb-f/

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    It is not clear who you are asking (best to do a 'quote' or 'reply') but if it is me then where did say I use FB?

I don't use it, never have, never will. Same for Instagram (even though millions ask to follow me :smile: ), Snapchat, Snapgram, Facesnap or anything else they design of a similar type.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Even Governments of all countries cannot fully protect data. If it's binary it can only be encrypted under even more encrypted blankets or similar operational measures but it is still there and can be mined. It may take days, months, years, but the digital foot print is there and many countries and a hundred plus organizations work to mine the data 24/7.

When it comes to dark web, or any browser, any anti analytic software, any internet page and yes,,even VPN's............ data is always stored somewhere and than can be mined . There is no such thing as full privacy on the internet, incognito is a bad joke, do not expect it anywhere. Not to mention all the devices that even allow mining at point of manufacture. If you post anything on the internet it is recorded some where and often even what you type without clicking enter. Back space your way out? No way.

This is just a tip of reality
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

-Then you have the 9 Eyes
    -Then you have the 14 eyes

-When posting or creating anything on the net.consider it public. Settings and options, choices and safety measures may allow to hide it from some, but never all.

*Having said all that, just a quick shout out to my Drunk Aunt Judy, where ever you are*

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    As an old programmer who read binary, octal, hexadecimal, is there now a job market for me, when I’m not drinking, Beats working in a 7-11 or security guard at Starbucks.
    On second thought, I think I will keep drinking.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Dont tell me you used Fortran ... I thought I was the only one alive to remember that one.

• Like Like x 2