Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Faster Internet speed in the Future? Oh Yeah.

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Dave & Imp, Dec 31, 2014.

1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Last mile issues are a problem in the U.S. as well. You can't really compare the Philippines, or even the U.S. to a country like Korea or Japan. Each of these countries are much richer than the Philippines and most of their residents live in a small number of large cities (Seoul is like half the nation.) I imagine once you get out of the largest city in Vietnam, it's as bad as the Philippines. (Note: below list shows Vietnam not ranking well.)

List of countries by Internet connection speeds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Philippines has the further challenge of being a ton of islands. Laying cables between islands must be really expensive.

If you need infrastructure, you pick your location based on that. The average speed of a country means nothing to me. I'm more concerned about the speeds I'm actually getting.

For me, a higher mobile data cap would be more helpful than faster speeds. I'm using Globe 3G / LTE - doesn't matter how fast I can download a movie if the thing costs me 200+ pesos in data charges. The speeds are fine for what I use the internet for. The caps keep me from doing things I would need faster access for.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    and I'm sure you paid for that movie before the download started as well. :wink:

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I guess I shouldn't say anything to push my luck BUT... Since I called Smart's hotline (and they even answered), I explained my LTE connection was off for the last 25 hours. Low and behold it came on about an hour later and so far still on.

Since there is no FUP data cap, I downloaded over 10 gb's in around 3 hours. Speedtest shows between 3mbps and 8mbps.

Looks like you can get a break from time to time, but only time will tell.....

4. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I find streaming services (which Globe has promo's for) to be more convenient than pirated downloads (Spotify for music.) There is a movie service as well, I haven't tried it yet.

5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The Philippines has the further challenge of being a ton of islands. Laying cables between islands must be really expensive.

If I remember correctly there are fiber optic cables running here to dumaguete under the sea along with Cebu and a few other of the bigger islands.
    I'm sure I heard a while back there were also cables running from South Korea to the pi!

6. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    You can see a list of the cables here.

Submarine Cable Map

From that list you can figure out who owns the pipelines coming into the Philippines.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Foundation Uni reported that the last outage { slow speeds during Aug Sept] were caused by yet another fishing boat tearing up the cable to Cebu - a routine occurence apparently and one in which the telcos have zero control over

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Time the men in charge read things like this thenEH?
    Protecting the Submarine Cables That Wire Our World

Like most things, where there is a will there will be a way! :wink:

Just saying Folks.:whistling:

JP:thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Not much you can do when a drunken fisherman rips up the cable at 2am

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    No answer then, let the PI stay in the 1950's and all quit moaning as it seems there is no one to take control of things. The rest of the world seem to find a way round these issues.Or are the Drunken Fishermen only between here and Cebu?