Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: FDA recommends avoiding VALVE masks

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You still practice the measures to protect yourself as best possible. Personally, I have ordered a PN95 mask to protect myself. Since many don't seem to care about protecting others I find it better to look out for numero uno. I understand these masks are mainly not recommended because it would put them in short supply for hospitals but I just don't care...maybe these hospitals should get on Lazada or Alibaba and start buying in bulk. If I can easily find them it shouldn't be too hard for a corporation to buy all of them up in mass straight from the factory. But God forbid they do something that hurts their profits. p*ss on hospitals and their for profit business model.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Nothing is going to be 100%. The goal is harm reduction. Masks achieve this goal.
    The advice is clear and pretty universal: wash your hands frequently, wear your masks when going in public/around others, practice social distancing when and where possible, only go out when necessary. These are universal recommendations for preventing the spread of diseases by any respectable medical professional. Everything else can be ignored right now as we just don't have enough information and we likely won't until this pandemic is over with.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Banks are now following the new FDA recommendation against VALVE masks. If you have one, you will probably run into this soon. We had one from years ago, and now no longer...

FDA Advisory No. 2020-1374 - 20 July 2020
    <<The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is strongly advising the public that the use of a facemask with a valve is not recommended during this COVID-19 pandemic. The person wearing the mask with a valve can be protected from the virus. However if that person has the virus, he/she can infect other people....
    Two-way protection is needed to prevent possible transmission of the virus. ....The person wearing the valve-mask is protected but if that person has the disease, he/she can spread the virus to other people.
    Face masks with valve should not be used in healthcare settings such as hospitals, clinics and other healthcare facilities...... Use of this face mask is also discouraged in the community setting especially in enclosed environment such as malls, offices, restaurants, hotels, etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Lee Hypermart august 8 (if you have a card, just swipe, that tracks your time, and they already have contact info:
    20200808_133334.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :banghead:
    Information on this is readily available and extremely easy to find. Anyone claiming they can't find it is not looking. It is even clearly laid out and explained on the FDA website that was referenced here. If people would bother to read more than the title they may understand there is nuance to the topic and any questions they had were very clearly answered.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks

Many viruses need a medium to hitch a ride. Stop the water droplets and you stop the virus. This is why surgical masks work even though a virus is small enough to slip through the gaps in the cloth.

Surgical masks are mainly too protect others from contracting something YOU have, not to protect you from getting something from someone else.

N95, the US standard (or KN95, the chinese standard) without vents protect you from contracting and spreading the virus.

If the mask has vents it only protects you from contracting a virus, not from you spreading anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

i would like to make it clear upfront that i am not being argumentative about this. i think we are all searching for an understanding of what we are faced with here. i just left the CDC web site and they state that N95 will filter out 95% of very small particles (including "o.3 microns") covid ranges from o.2 down to 0.1 micron in size. so my interpretation that the N95 mask would stop less than 95 percent of covid.

the CDC does not refer to masks as such, but as "respirators" (is my read) and described therein what we are calling masks.

the valve issue is to protect others from your exhalation as the valve releases unfiltered air you breath out.

it is hard to come to any agreement amongst ourselves when the experts don't agree and keep changing their recommendations. i think it is correct to say now the CDC recommends cloth masks for the public, not N95. cloth masks stop droplets but not the viruse (in either direction) the country of India just make use of N95 by the public illegal (for one billion plus people) requiring instead cloth mask for them.

i agree industrial use and medical use are not the same and perhaps it adds to the confusion.

most medical sites seem to distinguish between N95 respirators (with or without a valve) and "surgical masks" which appear to be more effective. again i am not taking issue with anyone about this. it is all quite confusing.

add to that the pragmatic view i have is that in this culture there are so many places where equipment is worn incorrectly or not at all. (no one in my neighborhood including all the little children wear any face covers at all). every business downtown seems to have different rules in place and that they change from day to day. to me it makes destroying the economy entirely pointless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +247 / 138
    N95 masks with exhaust valve are intended for industrial uses like mining, construction or painting, were your not concerned with where your exhale goes. So 95% of particulates found in those type environments.

The US CDC recommends the use of respirators with at least N95 certification to protect the wearer from inhalation of infectious particles including covid19. I haven't found any reference as to a percentage of covid19 that can pass through. Hopefully none is why it is recommended.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1