Dumaguete Info Search

Feedback on businesses closing

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by darkside, Mar 6, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    darkside

darkside DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rhoody, How does San Mig stand up to Heineken(I see youre from Alemania) and beer lover lol? Is it good enough, better, or no choice??? All I drank there was San Mig Lite which was better than my preferred Miller Lite here in the states...I drank redhorse too and they call them wino (bums) drinks cause they only cost $1.75 back in Chicago...It'll burn a hole through the liver. lol

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, sorry for jump in again...

any kind of "exotic food" has NO potential customer-base here to survive (maybe korean would have). You can talk to everyone and they will tell you ... oooh I want Indian food.... ooooh thai would be great...

at the end of the day, only a tiny part of those will give it a try and drop in once or twice a month... that will not pay your bills, the rest will say oooohhhhh, but 300 peso is too expensive for a quality dish.... 95% of the foreigner will not go out after dark anyway, so your dinner tables will be mainly empty.

Multiple tries were made in Dumaguete, with acceptable food to decent prices in quite OK locations.

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Heineken is dutch... I prefer cow-pee to heineken, hehehe
    SML is brewed with rice and corn and does not qualify to be called beer by my standards

(judgment based on being a son of a bavarian brewer)

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    This sums a lot of it up pretty well. It is unfathomable to a western mind to understand just how difficult it is to train people here to do basic tasks, and expect them to continue to do it that way while you go to the CR.

A restaurant business is difficult anywhere in the world, in the Philippines, multiply this times 10. Unless you plan on being there 24/7, and having absolutely no life elsewhere, plan on it to be run "Filipino style". They will destroy a P2000 chefs knife to make a P5 dustpan. Waitstaff are exceptionally hard to train, as are cooks. If they know you will be busy one day, they will not show up for work. They will never mention that supplies are running low, until they are completely depleted. Plan on being closed the day after payday, or pay them all on a different day, as few people will show up the day after payday.

If the clientele is all local, as Rhoody mentions different rules apply. In that case just plan on throwing money at it every month until the day you die. Chances of it ever becoming fully self sufficient are slim.

Larry

Formerly, Western Hemisphere Restaurant, Piapi.

5. Vicmico

Vicmico DI Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Now, now, Rhoody!!! It may not be the very best beer available here in the low-lands, but to call it cow-pee is overkill. I have to admit though that I prefer a SM over a Heineken any time, but when it's warm here a cool draft heineken does go down ever so nicely....

Vicmico

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    hmmm okokok... you got me there ... I apologize ... to the cows... hehehe

I am not a huge fan of beer in green bottles. They break light different which influences the taste of the beer in a way that it turns out to be more bitter-ish. While many people like that, I prefer more the full flavored beers or a good dark wheat-beer like "Kloster Andechs" and "Erdinger dark Wheatbeer"

7. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No no no no no please no !!!!!!!! It's that one word. How can you do a 9 page assessment of Karaoke when one line - "it's crap" - would be sufficient. Especially when they are in residential areas. Three knuckle draggers, blitzed off their face on Tanduay, at 4 a.m. firmly believing that they can perfectly copy Queen, Dire Straits or Meatloaf, and not giving a toss for every house within a 1 mile radius that they are keeping awake, let alone the stray dogs that want to howl with them. Have you not heard that you should never hand a Filipino a microphone as it won't be returned for at least three hours ? :eek: