Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Ferry Capsized

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    [​IMG]

AT LEAST 36 people were killed after a passenger ferry with 173 on board capsized in rough waters off Ormoc City in Leyte past noon on Thursday, just a few minutes after leaving the port there, a disaster monitoring official said.

Rescue boats picked up dozens of survivors who clung to the overturned hull of the Kim Nirvana, one kilometer (about half a mile) from Ormoc port, Ciriaco Tolibao from the city’s disaster risk reduction and management office told AFP.

Divers were scouring the murky waters searching for survivors from the inside of the ship, he said.

At least 36 dead as banca capsizes off Ormoc City | Inquirer News
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

• Informative Informative x 6
  2. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    CNN have just posted a ferry has gown down in Leyte 34 poople have died there was 173 on board , lets hope the rest are safe. RIP to thoses that did not make it

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  3. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Incorrect loading given as the cause of the shipwreck,

Leyte - The Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) announced on Friday in the investigation of the House Committee announced that a false charge and do not overcharge was the cause of the sinking of the MB Kim Nirvana-B. In the shipwreck off Ormoc City's, a total of 62 passengers were on 2 July (see article 04.07.2015) died. MARINA Administrator Maximo Mejia Jr. says that MB Kim Nirvana-B is approved for 178 passengers and 16 crew members. According to Mejia, the ship is 225 passengers and 18 crew members expired and had invited more than 100 bags of rice and cement. He says the ship only had a weight load of 50 tonnes, which corresponds to only half of the total capacity of 100 tons. The MARINA is the captain of the ship to blame, because the cargo was loaded on the upper deck and the passengers were seated in the lower deck. Debt is also the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) given by Ormoc City that the ship allowed the phasing out, although no lifejackets on Borad were. The MARINA had recently banned in the Circular 2015-07, the use of an upper deck for passenger and freight , Mejia says all outrigger boats with a second deck to be re-inspected and approved for non-compliance are met, only for use with the lower deck. MARINA-7 lawyer Jose Cabatingan says that the owners and operators of the outrigger boats have started to remove their upper deck to follow the orders of the MARINA.EPD 11/07/2015 - 4:40

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Mr drake seems to have been mentioned a few times in different reports,telling the story how it was and now a few people have been arrested or sacked. I have not seen many reports of locals in the articles,maybe they are just too scared to talk to the press due to repercussions!
    I think if I were Mr drake I would move islands quite quickly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,403 / 1,263
    If you don't like the News, just change to a different station or wait for the News to change.

Yesterday afternoon I watched CNN Philippines and the US fellow said (more or less);
    "if the crew is charged then the 2 coast guard guys should also be charged for releasing the boat" This part was missing from the evening news. He did not say the CG personnel were on board to inspect the ferry but it was more or less implied.
    "the CG needs to review their search and rescue procedures, they were recovering dead bodies while live people were in the water, dead is dead, get them later"
    Again that clip was omitted from the evening news. He may very well find himself "persona Non-grata".

In the afternoon it was reported that some names on the passenger list had been changed.
    The CG said that is dis-honest and the CG will not be giving any more interviews until their investigation is complete.

I don't remember the owners of the ship and ferry that collided off Cebu two years a go where 114 people died. Selective justice, maybe.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hopefully they arrest the ferry operators as well since they were the ones who lied on the passenger manifest and potentially overloaded the ferry in the first place. In the end they are the ones ultimately responsible for the loss of life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    I skippered ferrys around Indonesia for a few years its not as easy as one may think, ticket sellers sell a lot more tickets that is a safe number , offen the manifest is not to be found so only by looking at the load line can you the weight you have on board. The other big factor is that you have a live load (people) they can move around if they all go to one side maybe to wave their last goodbye this move it can make a big diffrence , if many go aloft it can send the center of gravity up the mask real quick, finaly offen when you leave port you have to turn side on to the to set your course and you can cop a big wave broadside and it throws a lot of weight to the lee side . It happens so quick .

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    American hero in Ormoc sea tragedy opposes murder raps vs banca owner, crew
    July 6, 2015 8:55pm

2321 140 0 2469

Some survivors in the sinking of the passenger banca MB Kim Nirvana last Thursday consider American Larry Drake a hero for saving three of his co-passengers including a young boy and a pregnant woman.

In an interview with GMA News, Drake said it was wrong for the police to charge with murder the owner and the crew of the motorized outrigger.

"In my personal opinion, it's wrong. They did a good job. They really did. They tried to save people. I think it was just an accident. Everybody was saying it was overloaded, the captain did an illegal maneuver... But these people [who are] saying all these stuff are not on the boat," he said in a report on GMA-7's "24 Oras" on Monday.

More from: American hero in Ormoc sea tragedy opposes murder raps vs banca owner, crew  | News | GMA News Online

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It would be unwise to put your name out there on a comment like that. Even more unwise to testify in court on the matter. I would have just told CNN that my name was "Joe".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Miguel

Miguel DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +109 / 39
    • Informative Informative x 3