Dumaguete Info Search

festive season noise

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by charlyB, Dec 29, 2022.

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    Over the many years i have been here i have became numb to to most of the noise here but the one that still gets me is the noise made by these wooden tubes that they put petrol or some other combustible fuel in and it makes a bang comparable to a handgun going off.
    If they used them just on Christmas day or new year because they can't afford proper firework's then fine but it seems to go on for weeks and at all times of day and night.
    These things really scare all the dogs and if you had a baby you are trying to get to sleep then good luck, i never complain because i know it would be futile and probably just encourage them to increase the frequency of the bangs, none of the local people seem to mind it so once again i would just be a strict foreigner who can f**k off back to where i came.
    I know it's the season of goodwill to all men BUT something that i often think of is that these things look homemade so if one was to explode and take a hand off would i feel any compassion, NO.
    Maybe a bit harsh, ok then how about a couple of fingers (from each hand)
    Happy new year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +293 / 17
    Out here they are made of empty cans, tops and bottom taken off and then packing tape. The BIG ones are from fruit coctail.
    Interesting how they are made. The fuel is Tiger brand fuel (normally for cooking). The ignition is from an electric start lighter pressed into a soda bottle top, the spark ignights the fumes. All that and I agree, those, the plastic horns (which will wash up on the beach in a month or so) all day and night. Why? Because it's culturally accepted to assume if I like loud noises and karaoke and K-pop misic then everyone does.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Combined with 'I don't care a sh1t about anyone else anyway'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Garcia

Garcia DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 129
    Yes the total lack of understanding anyone else's space especially regards noise. IMO that shows a certain brain malfunction or the absence of anything outside of the me brain being me and nothing else matters. Yet on the other side is a respect for elders that the West has definitely lost in most cases...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,989 / 1,090
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Yes - they make great carers aboard due to respect for the elderly. But here they don't give a sh1t if an elderly person is dying as long as they can make noise nearby.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It's been like that for a month where I am. Some silly tw@t have took their muffler off the bike and riding around.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,989 / 1,090
    It's mo noise in the Philippines, ain't gonna change any decade sooner!

9. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I know, kinda getting use to it.
    Happy New Year 2023
    Everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Crystalhead

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,989 / 1,090
    I own a stereo system and also have a guitar amp. Both combined equals 450 watts. I have the loudest home in my City I am in. Pay back feels good.........real good!

• Like Like x 1