Dumaguete Info Search

Filipino grocery store beef ... or is it really carabao ?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Turbota, Sep 15, 2015.

1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    @gerry_bc of Gerry's on the Beach makes his hamburgers and other beefy things from imported beef. I haven't had it yet. I will try it when I'm out there next time (I have heard the blue cheese hamburger is really good.) I think the beef comes from Japan, which means great quality, but the cow has a much smaller penis than those from the US. Doesn't matter though, the Japanese eat the penis before shipping the beef over.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I get your point about size but just to educate those who my have never been down on the farm, cows have a vagina and bulls have a penis.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I can confirm that Gerry's blue cheese burger is excellent - best I've had in the Phills.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Gerry told me the pre-formed ground beef patties he uses for his hamburgers is Japanese (Wagyu variety), but it comes to the Philippines from Australia (Yup ... I don't quite understand it either)

His hamburgers are good nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    We produce Wagyu beef in Australia as well. The following exert from Wikipedia

"The Australian Wagyu Association is the largest breed association outside Japan.[9] Both fullblood and Wagyu-cross cattle are farmed in Australia for domestic and overseas markets, including Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, the U.K., France, Germany, Denmark and the U.S.[10] Australian Wagyu cattle are grain fed for the last 300–500 days of production.[citation needed] Wagyu bred in Western Australia's Margaret River region often have red wine added to their feed as well.[11]".

It is common here in Australia to get Wagyu steak or even mince and it refers to the marbling or the high percentage of unsaturated fat in the cow. Our cattle are not lot fed but roam free which produces beef with less saturated fats. We do produce some of the highest quality beef in the world bur most of that is exported, though I suspect the Philippines won't pay the high price for the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I hate it when you go there with a group of friends and the booths are occupied by two students drinking one coke and are only there for the internet. I have said to the staff on numerous occasions to direct the customers to tables that reflect the size of the group, but you might as well speak to a brick wall. The food is acceptable considering the size of the kitchen, but a lot of the food is precooked and just reheated in a microwave.

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Yes I will agree, no doubt that you are aware it is cooked in their place in Batinguel up from the Barangay Hall in Lower Batinguel. Then Transported to the restos.

JP:whistling:

• Informative Informative x 1