Dumaguete Info Search

Filipinos and Asylum Seekers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Notmyrealname, Aug 18, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I wrote about this before, but the history is one of exploiting vulnerable people and robbing them of their lands, their treasures and their people. Nothing to be proud of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What do you call the Philippines then if the UK is a sh*t hole? :o o:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Humans tend to do that. Let's not act like the "natives" (is there truly a thing as a "native" human?) were all a bunch of peace loving hippies living off the land and living in some sort of utopia. Many locals in question were constantly at war and raped, pillaged, tortured and murdered other natives. Almost every civilisation of humans has conquered someone and has been conquered by someone else....and some truly horrible things likely happened along the way. It isn't something unique to the West. Eventually the US/West will be destroyed/conquered/broken up and replaced with something/someone else.....and whoever replaces them will also eventually be replaced by someone else, and so on and so on.

No civilisation can claim the moral high ground. If you look back far enough in anyone's past you are going to find some horrible stuff. Name me a country that exists today that doesn't, or hasn't ever, done something truly vile.

Not a justification for some of the stuff that still goes on today but....wait, did I have a point? Doesn't matter:

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch tv".

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mjdistj

mjdistj DI New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well written and thank you for bringing some accurate information to this issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I don't call it anything as it is not my country.

6. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    In my opinion, what people did to other people in their own country (and I accept that a 'country' is a territory just as he whole world can be conceived of as a 'territory') is far more understandable (if not acceptable) that a powerful nation going to other countries, seizing their lands, making the people slaves in their own countries as well as in foreign countries (to which they were transported packed like sardines in a can, separated from their families, raped by their 'masters' and treated so cruelly in all manner of ways) and stealing everything that is of value to satisfy their own greed. That is part of my countries' history and it is one of shame and not of pride. As I said, this is my opinion and I care not a whit whether anyone else agrees with me or not.

I think very many countries acted more inside their own territory than worldwide but I do not know enough about their histories to be sure which ones - maybe someone would like to do a research project.

7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So by that logic what Hitler did to the German Jews was somehow less of an evil than what he did to Polish Jews?

Personally, I refuse to feel any shame for what my ancestors did. I played no part in it and I can not change it. Sorry if I benefit and someone else suffers because of it. Neither "deserve" the life we have.....that's just life. Deal with it and stop being a victim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I thought I made it clear that all evil is unacceptable - to me that includes against humans and other animals - whether in a specific country or worldwide. Hitler's rounding up of innocent people from other countries and gassing them just made his crime grow bigger each time. With some issues there is perhaps no point in trying to use logic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Similar issues in Australia, when the Aboriginals berate me I make it clear that it was the BRITISH who came and committed the atrocities, NOT today's AUSTRALIANS! Want to take it up with someone who is culpable then take it up with the British Government. Australia has cleaned up the inequalities that did exist, now you just have the butt hurt brigade who are crying over what happened a century and more ago holding out their hands for compensation. I DID NOT DO IT TO THEM, AND; THEY WERE NOT VICTIMS OF THOSE ATROCITIES COMMITTED 100+ YEARS AGO! They are victims of their own stupidity, their own laziness and their own inability to get off of their asses and make a better life for themselves today. That applies to many races, not just the indigenous peoples.

But in saying that Africans were victims of the West in the Slave Trade, it was Africans who did the rounding up and selling of slaves long before Britain and America became involved in this terrible trade of Human flesh, I have called out several African-Americans regards this terrible trade in Human Flesh on how it was a part of THEIR Culture long before the British and Americans became involved. Similar happened in Australia with the rounding up of South Sea Islanders to work as slaves in the Sugar Cane Industry. BUT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN TODAY SO MOVE ON ALL THOSE WHO ARE LIVING AS IF IT HAPPENED TO THEM PERSONALLY AND GET A LIFE!

SLAVERY IN AFRICA:
    Slavery in Africa - Wikipedia

And it also happened here in the Philippines! (A long read but WOW!)
    My Family’s Slave

• Agree Agree x 1