Dumaguete Info Search

Filipinos arriving from Taiwan refusing quarantine

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Sedona, Feb 13, 2020.

1. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    According to some other accounts this also applied to passengers merely transiting through Taiwan. Coupled with the travel ban for foreign nationals (other than Philippines permanent visa holders), you could be a US tourist headed to the Philippines (On EVA air, from New York, for example, which we flew last year) and be denied entrance when you arrived in Cebu. Really unfortunate if you didn't find out until after you left the States.
    I'm wondering if they would consider a Balikbayan stamp a "permanent visa" for this purpose?

2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I thought the travel ban re Taiwan has now been lifted.

As for the BB stamp - it is not a Visa, just a waiver. It is not held prior to entry, as it ends as soon as the holder leaves the country (it has no permanence), and so no-one is able to arrive with that 'visa' (waiver) existing - it is granted (or not) at immigration. Perhaps on compassionate grounds a person may be granted one under these new rules, but I doubt it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    I agree, my understanding is that the Taiwan ban is now lifted.
    You're right as far as the BB stamp. I should have said would ELIGIBILITY for a BB stamp allow entrance to a foreigner who arrived during the ban with their Filipino spouse. Some foreigners actually made it to the Philippines "doorstep" only to find out about the ban (arriving on the same flights as the angry Filipinos who were allowed entry but who were placed in quarantine).
    So my question was really if I had arrived with my wife, would they have refused entry to me (the American husband) - while allowing my wife (dual citizen) entrance (after her two weeks in quarantine)? Would be pretty rough after about flying from the US East coast, all because we had a few hours layover in Taiwan.
    Anyway, question is moot - for now :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I have read that they deport people without allowing them even to say goodbye to their spouse or children - others may point out if this is not true. So I am not sure that relying on humanity would change any system they have put in place. Perhaps if the husband agreed to quarantine and testing at his own cost they might allow a BB stamp - but we will know only if someone did just that and even then we will only know they did it once.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    It is up to the traveler (the husband) to ensure he is eligible without question, before boarding the aircraft. It is the responsibility of the airlines to ensure you meet entry requirements but it is ultimately the travelers’ responsibility. The immigration agents are only following process and their humanity is not a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Have to disagree on that one. If a country is introducing a temporary policy and there is some vagueness about what type of Visa might or might not be accepted, then I do not see that the husband or the airline can be sure of eligibility at the time of boarding.

On the point of 'humanity' within a set of guidelines: Even now, entry Visas, including BB waivers, are subject to the decision of the immigration staff - no-one has a definite right of entry to another country. Therefore, how you conduct yourself at immigration is a big factor but conduct is open to interpretation - if a person behaves a little badly then an officer may refuse entry or may, because that officer has a softer heart, decide that he/she can bend the interpretation a little because of, for example, seeing the pleading eyes of the man's wife. I call that 'humanity' as it depends on a degree of compassion. In the example cited before, the officer may do the same if it is thought that the husband paying for quarantine fulfills the needs of the temporary rule but includes some compassion into the decision.

• Informative Informative x 1