Dumaguete Info Search

Trades & Labor Finding a Helper

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by horizon155, Aug 21, 2017.

1. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm looking for someone to help out maybe just a couple of days a week for a couple of Hours each day..I live alone and I need some assistance with a few things. I need laundry hand washed (just for 1 person, myself) - and My dishes washed (again for myself), the bed/linens washed+made - Is there a website where people put their resumes/CV or an easy way to get access to those looking for work? Also if someone could PM me a reasonable rate for something like this weekly I would really appreciate it. Just curious as to how some of you found other ways for domestic helpers.. I'm guessing family, extended family, etc.. But I'm just looking for a general place where you can post this type of need for work and find someone reliable. Also, How about a cook? Someone that will get groceries and cook for you. Again, the price range, and what is usually expected of the cook.. If anyone is uncomfortable discussing this openly in a public forum don't hesitate to private message me. Thanks!!

2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    When 'Aunty' washed our clothes each Saturday, we would pay her 260 pesos which also covered her Fares, as well as feeding her breakfast, then lunch before she would go home. Now that I help my wife by hand pumping water as she washes, I think Aunty was underpaid! :speechless:

• Like Like x 2
  3. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think (personal opinion) that here in the province, about P3000 + food/board per month for a full time worker is reasonable. BUT - legally you should then pay SSS and Philhealth.
    I don't think you would need to pay SSS and PhilH for a parttimer and you could prorate the pay depending on hours - but if the amount is too small they may not consider it worth the effort. It's probably better to ask around locally among friends - a part timer is not going to want to travel a long distance. Give them a week's trial.

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I totally agree, but after exploring 4 different options with helpers and offering that exact amount, each one refused. Its not that the ladies thought it was unfair but when they talked to friends and family they were told something like: "He's a foreigner, don't work for him for filipino wages" and they each turned down the offer.

Further discussions with many friends who have helpers seems to illustrate that they are all paying more than that for good ones but will not say exactly how much as someone else will offer them more and steal them away. :angelic:

I/we even tried to find a high school student to work after school, babysitting, and they don't seem to want to work after school. Strange culture.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    dumagete city of lazy people.evryone wants job, everyone wants paid. work? not in agenda!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    We pay more than 3k but I would like to know what is reasonable for a foreigner. We had a helper who kept telling someone that her husband kept saying she could make more doing nails. Wow, self employed in cosmetics. And such a bad attitude when working for us. How could I beat her having her own business which I would encourage her to do anyway. So she was happy when we gave her a months pay and parted ways.

Later she wanted to come back but we already had another helper:

Anyw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There is a law that states how much you should pay a helper and what is required from both the employer and employee.

P3000 is too much. Depending on where you live it would be either P1500 or P2000 (Valencia would be P1500, Dumaguete P2000). If you are in the NCR the minimum salary is P2500. 13 month pay is a requirement.

I wouldn't start any helper with more than the minimum. Most are extremely tapolan and will be fired in short order. If they do a good job I would quickly give them a raise.

https://www.dole.gov.ph/files/IRR of domestic workers act.pdf

There's the law.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I'd aim for 2-2.5k starting myself for a live in. Raise could come up quickly depending if she's trustworthy and good at her job. Most however will try and sit on their phone all day long when your not looking so they come and go rather quickly. Further as a foreigner we usually treat them as another member of the family offering good food, them going out with us to dinner sometimes, and plenty of rest time and maybe their own tv in their own room. Most Filipino's treat their helpers like crap and slaves. If the gal has worked as a helper before she knows the difference and will appreciate you for it. If they don't like it they can always leave and often they find a reason to leave even if your paying them a lot more so why bother.

Part-time I'd start at 50p an hour always giving them the benefit of the doubt when comes to the hour. If they live a bit further can always toss in an extra 20p for fair each day they work. I'd offer them lunch if they aren't just half day workers looking to be out by noon (plenty of them I've found just want 3-4 hours a day from like 8/9am-noon.

Far as finding one that gets to be the problem. I just lost my part-time helper who moved on into a tesda program so can't recommend her anymore. Have to watch who because you could get a dozen living nearby loving the idea to make some :greedy: but lazy and high chance of thievery. Try and wait for a recommendation from friends or even your landlord if your renting.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Since pay is better for part time
    I would be thinking the same as them girls. 4 hours a day is 200 so in 2 weeks I would get the same as the girl who worked live-in all month
    We tend to think these girls are not good at math and that is true in that they do not think of the value of room and board in a nice home. They only look at cash in pocket, or so it seems to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  10. silverbullet

silverbullet Ring Ring. Who's calling? Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +76 / 14
    Blood Type:
    A+
    We went through 8 helpers in 6 months and in the end we gave up on hiring anymore. Their idea of cleaning is sweeping up the leaves. They have no idea how to clean a house properly and no eye for detail. As for washing our clothes, it was cheaper to take them to the laundry.

• Agree Agree x 2