Dumaguete Info Search

FIVE MAJOR RISKS TO FLYING IN ASIA

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by nwlivewire, Jul 14, 2015.

1. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Found this article in the Wall Street Journal.
    In particular, it references a couple of airport and air traffic control issues in the Philippines.

Five Major Risks to Flying in Asia - WSJ.com

Asia is the world’s fastest-growing aviation market. But experts worry the continent is ill-equipped to handle the increasing traffic. Here are the major risks, illustrated through the course of a fictional flight.
    By Daniel Stacey
    Published July 13, 2015

V/R,
    nwlivewire

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Phew, thank god the Philippines isn't on the Asian continent. Just make sure you have a direct flight from the US to Manila and all should be well. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    I watched the video for 2 or 3 minutes and all I saw was clouds and more clouds.
    Does something actually happen or do we starve to death.
    14 grams of peanuts doesn"t go too far.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It might take a minute or two to completely download those 3D graphics.

Tried to find just the article without the graphics, but no luck.

nwlivewire

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I like those parallax scrolling websites and thought about using that design style on the DI main site but quickly decided against it because of the crappy Philippine internet. The Milwaukee Police have a pretty cool looking website (currently down for me though). Back on topic.

From the article:
    How stupid can you be? You are going to illegally cross a runway and then NOT look for planes landing or taking off? Sucks the fligth instructor lost his life but the two idiots on the motorbike.....the world is better off without them. This didn't happen in the Philippines but I could see planes hitting stray dogs/cats on landing/take off.

The Philippine airline industry cancels flights because of weather quite frequently....even when the weather seems to be perfectly fine. (I think it is an excuse they use for any type of delay so they don't have to reimburse their passengers for problems they had control over.)

Here is a live flight tracker. Asia is pretty d*mn crowded but take a look at the Philippines. It is far less crowded than the rest of Asia. Also, in the article the Philippines is at level 2 with the air-traffic control technology (higher than many other Asian countries in the region).

Jesus! (pun not intended) Remind me to never fly Bhoja. I want a pilot to be piloting the plane, not a god. I'm not sure on the training level of Philippine pilots, I suspect the ones that fly international are far better trained than the domestic pilots. Just a guess. I have heard stories about how idiotic some of the pilots are (making a bunch of attempts at landing in Dumaguete then just giving up and flying over to Cebu), though I've never experienced this myself.

This is true. Philippine airports suck. The Dumaguete airport has nothing close to the 90 meter safety strip. If a plane doesn't stop in time they are going to cross the very busy national highway and then, in short order, a market.

• Genius Genius x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    If you walk along to the end of siliman beach to the runway you will also find a huge hole in the fence where people and school kids cross every day as a shortcut,push bikes,goats and also cows I have seen crossing!

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Seems Logical for the populous, why walk all that round when we can cause mayhem and they tell you OH! I just followed them. Davy maybe one day you will see a Trike taking a short cut too to save Gas! [​IMG] The mind surely does boggle at Times. :rolleyes:

JP:pompus:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm so very glad to read your postings Wyre83 and Jack Peterson!

Both of you consistently render thoughtful and appropriate responses to such a newbie-wanna-be expat.

I appreciate what you write - immensely.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

Believe it or not, I also smile when I read The Dude. And while I may not always agree, his take on things are insightful - perhaps bordeing a wee bit on the incite-full side. hahaha

Thanks again!

V/R,
    nwlivewire
    ps. I have also enjoyed the EU postings about the Greece situation. The posters on that thread have also given me plenty of food for thought - much needed/welcome input to a complex situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1