Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Flu Hospitalizations 2020

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I just saw a report that there were only 165 flu hospitalizations in the US for 2020. Down from 400,000+ from the year before. And they only took 30 seconds to deliver this astounding bit of information. I had to rewind it a few times to make sure I heard right.

CDC website confirms these numbers.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

The news report I saw attributed this to wearing masks and social distancing then cut to commercial.

Congratulations are in order, we are on the way to eradicating the flu. 400,000+ hospitalizations down to 165 in less than a year, f'n amazing!!! :meh:

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    From the link in the first post. Sounds like social distancing also helps with the Flu spread too, not so surprising. As usual the devil is in the details. It is a good year for the flu (good meaning less flu), but there have been other seasons that were almost as good.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 6.54.33 AM.png

When compared to Covid, a huge difference.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 6.55.49 AM.png

The covid deaths were significant enough to drop life expectancy by 1-2 years in the US. I call that pretty significant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021