Dumaguete Info Search

Food Here

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Oct 20, 2023.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM Living the dream, Plan B ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,767 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I've only grilled pork belly in the past...definitely need to try out your recipe when I get home in a few days. Not a dark beer fan, but do like some Red Horse.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    It will be interesting to see when I return to PH in a few weeks just how much food prices there compare with UK, I'm expecting to pay a lot more for the things I eat when I buy them there than I do here in UK? another thing to consider is availability, when the comparison of prices was done on DI last year it was found that meat prices, Pork and Chicken were much the same, vegetables were much more expensive and of dubious quality and about the only thing that was less in price there in PH were Eggs? lets not forget the essentials that most Foreigners find desirable Milk, Butter and Cheese in that same order the prices here, fresh milk 2.27ltrs is around p100, butter, p160 for 500grms and a very well matured Cheddar or a good Feta can be had for P120 both in 200grms.
    I never go to the Pub here in UK the prices are verging on ridiculous at around P330 a pint=568mls (it is only people that are on welfare that can afford this) instead I make my own at home at a cost of P23 per 500mls.

I'm guessing from what you say that Food prices in Germany are higher than the prices in UK?

3. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Mr CB, I would have thought all these Auld bar Stewards would get enough social interaction going to the Funerals of their dead friends and it will feel good when the person is younger than them?

• Funny Funny x 3
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 230
    Haste ye back we love you dearly.......
    The last funeral I went to, I set the Sat-nav and when I arrived at the cemetery a voice message said " you have arrived at your destination"

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    I would suggest shhtickin a bish of chaaase n buhher in the suitcase when coming here n phew canz o carned baaaaf fur sprading

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    I can't answer cause I am really not familar with prices in the UK.

All I can say is that I left Germany in July 2023 and my weekly shopping for groceries was more or less the same amount what I am paying now here in the Philippines.
    That was different a few years ago.

Meanwhile costs of living are pretty much the same. What you can save on restaurants and bars you spend for milk, butter, cheese and hygienic stuff.
    What you can save on rent you soend for medical insurance. Not to mention the monthly costs for your visa.

I am not complaining. I am just not one of the guys that believe life is cheaper here than in Europe. Life is great here. But not cheap(er).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    From what you have to say here this has prompted me to make up a shopping list before my trip to PH noting prices here for most basic commodities and then do a direct comparison for the same goods there, I am of the idea it will be near double there? Btw something that you do get here and not available there is; Genuine special offers, it being hardly possible not have at least one item in the trolley that does not come at a special price?

Actually I would say by owning our insulated property there and having a low energy bill, I would suggest we could live as a family of 4 for less than £1000 a month this to include the running costs of our car and private schooling for our son, we mostly eat at home.

Now here in UK this would not be possible, the cost to run my house alone before we even wash a dish is around £600, running a bought and paid for car will be around another £200 so a rough guesstimate must be close to £800, a months food shop would be close to £500 and odd treat once or twice a month would run to another £100, so this would suggest a basic lifestyle in the Philippines to be that bit less in cost than here in UK, this may not be all that accurate and only an idea in my head?

But it must be remembered I am a Scotsman and we are not guilty of throwing out money around.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    That's a very good idea.

I assume there is no need to compile a list. Just collect and keep your shopping bills in Scotland for a certain period and once here you can easily compare any given item with the local rates here in Dumaguete. Not only food but as well all kind of groceries, hygienic items, cleaning stuff and so on.

Can't wait to see the results. Whatever will be the outcome we should celebrate it with a few beers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 17
    Bluebell,
    At the foundation we eat all we can and sell the rest.
    Explains some of the states obesity problem, but doesnt change how good it is.

Attached Files:

10. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Mostly I sit with Germans at the Red Table, they are a good bunch of guys and quick to buy a round for the table, however they are a serious lot and never seem to laugh all that much? Here in UK we would enjoy a TV comedy, one of which would be Dick Emery he would dress up as an old lady and slip on a Banana skin onto his backside showing his bloomers, now this would not be funny to a German unless it was a real old Lady?

One time when sitting there with them and another man come in our company who was a stranger to me, after a time he turned to me and said why do you not sit over there with the US guys that are speaking English, to which I replied these Motherfeckers just talk a load of Sh!t, Ya Ya the Germans said you are correctly Motherfeckers just full of Sh!t, I then said; I think you Germans are also full of Sh!t but as I don't understand a word you say that is OK for me, this stranger did not take too kindly to this, however when he noticed the others laughing at this he did see the funny side eventually.

• Like Like x 2