Dumaguete Info Search

For those considering going to Bais

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by onlymichael, Sep 17, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Ok, I should know better..

then to post anything except that which I have direct experience. I was going by what several other posters said on a google search of this and perhaps they were speaking of the cost of the entire boat, not per head, so I stand corrected (i think) and thanks for the info. the rest of the info on my post is accurate as it was my direct experience.

2. Lonestar

Lonestar DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad you had a good laugh. You are welcome. But no one is trying to sell a Banca as a Luxury Liner and no Bais is not Paris... but neither is it as it was unfairly portrayed above. And I am trying to do justice to those operators who are trying to make a living fairly.

FYI my mother is from Bais so I know the city well, but I live and work in Valencia. You will find me here in Valencia town square most Monday mornings if you want to meet me. You can't miss me. Just mention my callsign.

3. Lonestar

Lonestar DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My apologies Sir if I may have been too forward and abrasive and I do appreciate your kind reaction. I do tend to be overly sensitive in issues like this. But do visit Bais as my guest sometime. It is my mother's hometown and I do know the city well. I am sure I can show you a nice side of Bais and maybe even some not so nice sides to it.... or did I word that wrong? Just as the same let me know if you are up to a visit.

I am most days in Valencia, wearing a barong, :rolleyes: most people here know me by my callsign. cheers.

4. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    now you get ridiculous, we are tourists and really don't care if you local guys don't get your own stuff sorted...

congrats to your slaugterhouse, really a top reason to fly around the half world to see a third world slaughterhouse and a steam locomotive (pretty common sight in Europe, even funtioning ones)...

come on, give some more top reasons to go to Bais...

5. OP
    OP
    onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0

Price for chicken 140kg vs 115 Dumag. price for apples 14 vs 10 dumag, price for peanuts 90 vs 80 Dumag. Price differences were not significant and cheaper for some fish. Restaurant prices at the one we visited the same as local stalls in Dumag.

By "reasonably sized" I mean smaller than Dumag. or so it readily appeared to me. I did not take out a tape measure and determine the m2. Unless there are more buildings than the one we were in, did not see any, it's rather tiny compared to Dumag.

Every city has someone trying to promote it and they all think they can p*ss farther than the next guy,but guess what, does not make it true. Bais is strictly small town as far as I could see, but in fairness I did not due a comprehensive dissertation on available attractions in Bais, only visited twice and after a google search showing not much going on except their highly regulated touristy "dolphin watch" I decided not to spend any more time there. Actually I consider Dumag. small town as well, judging from posts here, you cannot even find a good hospital in Dumag. Sorry if this steps on the toes of people who make profit luring tourists to their local towns.

6. Lonestar

Lonestar DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    None! No viable reason for fellows like you to come to Bais. Unless you are already in the area like say Dumaguete or Dauin. Otherwise you are absolutely right! There is no top reason to fly around half the world to see a third world.... certainly you are better of visiting Paris, London, New York even maybe Cairo....

7. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    nope, I am certainly better off going snorkling/diving in Dauin and Apo, the sole reason why to visit Negros Oriental. (well, Dauin snorkling is pretty bad compared to a year ago, but macro diving and critter hunting is still very unique.
    All other stuff in Negros is trying to sell cow-dung as gold, and that very bad organised by locals, while other regions in the philippines rather understand how to treat visitors and offer convenient sight-seeing tours, even with rather medicore sights.

8. Lonestar

Lonestar DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don;t know... seriously... when did you come visit? You must have been in the wrong side of town if even there is one in Bais. You are right, New York or Tokyo I am sure has better hospitals than Dumaguete or even Bais. I was in Kuala Lumpur recently and they have fantastic hospitals there... you might want to check that place out.

Drop me a line if you plan on taking up my invite.

9. Lonestar

Lonestar DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is so sad to hear. If snorkeling is your primary purpose of coming to Negros Oriental maybe you got it all wrong... you might be happier visiting Sipadan in Malaysia... it really is a nice place for diving and snorkeling...have you been there? I am sure you will get along well with the locals there. Another place that I can personally recommend you visit is Truk Lagoon... really spectacular wreck dives... though its been ages since I was there so I cannot say how it is these days. Would you be interested maybe in the Great Barrier Reef? Heron Island is another fantastic dive... Did you know the late Ron Taylor? Sad that he passed away just a few days ago. Or maybe you know his wife Valerie? I did a couple of dives with them there... oh but that was a long time ago but I guess it should still be better than Negros Oriental. I still have an old underwater camera housing somewhere that I bought from them... but that was too long ago. They have nice dive boats there not like our banca's.... Or maybe you know Carl Roessler? You will be happier in the Red Sea for sure.... or Curacao or Bonaire or even maybe Key Largo? There are better sights to see in those places and the people there will be happy to be with you and treat visitors better... don't be unhappy here go there and be happy!

10. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    great post again... I tell it straight to your face... you have no clue about scuba-diving Other than Heron Island (which is on my list) and Key Largo I was at all of them and comparing the diving there with here is not possible and nothing else than ridiculous and fits perfectly in your bad argumentation. Of course for Flips knowing some VIP's gives them a hard-on. For me the aquatic life is the superstar.

howerver you simply sound like a typical local who need to be noisy cause some people say something negative about your lousy promotion of a slaughterhouse. Negros Oriental can be happy that all professional resorts are run by foreigners who are alone responsible that international tourists coming here or other locations in this country to spend millions of dollar If your country would not sell girls and scuba-diving you could sink it next to the Mariana Trench.Sorry Lonestar, you are a prime example for this "cry-babies who lost their lolipop-attitude" you locals show to everybody who has the slightest critics.

"Go if you don't like"... another example of your stupid arguments and bad attitude. I never said that I don't like it and I certainly don't need a person of your "outstanding personality" to tell me anything.

I like a lot of this country, sadly there are way too many with your attitude, who can't read, talking crap and telling others what they need to do. So don't wonder if you and your country runs blindfolded deeper and deeper into the mud... You locals show no respect to guests of your country, all you want is their money. As I am well travelled enough and also long enough here, I can avoid most of the traps.

But you are right, if I don't like it anymore, I can and will leave, and that is my advantage... most of you guys will sit infront of the slaughterhouse in bais and continue crying, looking for reasons why Philippines fall behind other SEA countries faster than ever, but never look at them self, even they are the biggest reason !!