Dumaguete Info Search

Poll For Those Who Bought Homes in Dumaguete and Area

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dave_Hounddriver, Jun 11, 2017.

?

What source was most instrumental in your decision to buy property here.

1. I have no clue, the wife took care of it all and I just paid

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. I found a real estate sales site online that had exactly what I wanted so I bought it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I found a real estate agent in or around Dumaguete who helped me buy this one.

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I found it in an expat forum and we made the deal

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. I found it in an online classified site like OLX and it worked out that I bought it.

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  6. I wandered around the area I wanted to live and checked what was for sale until I found it.

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  7. I went to a sales office in a subdivision and found a unit I liked

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. I went to a subdivision I liked and checked out who was selling their unit and bought one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. A friend went looking for me and made some suggestions and one of them worked for me

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  10. A stranger walked up to me and said "Hey Joe, you want to buy a house" and I said sure.

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think we are both lucky with our decision. I am currently paying for the land though I consider it a joint venture because he spends most of our cost of living here in Japan. Anything can happen between now and the time when we make the big move to build our retirement house. If I die before that, what choice will he have? So I think it's best for him to keep his money (for now:happy:). I also asked his opinion about the fact that when we die, everything goes to my Filipino daughter. He says it doesn't bother him. The same is true with my Japanese daughters. They're not jealous with their half sister at all.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    We only have the one Daughter here, I want everything to go to her! I have 6 kids in Oz but they have no right to ownership here nor are they interested as they are all adults with their own families/lives. But I DO NEED to go to an Attorney here who deals in Wills regards Death/Land/Property etc so that we can make sure our hard earnt investment goes to she who deserves it, not everyone else who will mooch in.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe you really won't have a choice. The parents will be legally entitled to a percentage of any property your wife owns if they choose to take it court. I'm not sure that they can be written out of any will legally.

If the above is correct what I would do is have the wife sell the land in its entirety to the daughter prior to her death. (And I wouldn't tell the family a d*mn thing about it so they get their hopes up for some free land only have those hopes and dreams crushed, maybe they would even some wasted money on lawyer fees.) Of course sometimes unexpected deaths happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Ok but it avoids little if it is done within 5 years before her death. Read this section "B. Property previously taxed (Vanishing Deduction) (Section 86(2) of the NIRC as amended by Republic Act No. 8424)" of this link https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/tax-information/estate-tax.html

It is about estate tax but I remember reading that the same applies to inheritance rights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Eh?? Even after 20 years of marriage and 3 kids? No wonder I'm so poor.....

6. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    don't get me wrong about my remark, I wouldn't consider this as bad behaviour, it's just normal here in our little paradise to make some extra business for some extra money from us, nobody gets hurt and it should have also no negative consequences for a relationship in love and harmony :happy: at least, sometimes you pay more, sometimes less, that's life. just don't loose control in business things.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    When you say nobody gets hurt, are you referring to the comment that you made here "even she will add secretly a million or anything to the original sales price, for her own commission and the benefit of the family"?

I would say that many people are getting hurt in that. The buyer is losing money that will eventually come out of what he has left to spend every month. The seller is losing as he would have got more money if he had negotiated direct with the buyer and both would be happier. The wife is losing the trust of her husband if he ever finds out. Who knows, that extra million pesos may be the foreigner's last savings and then he ends up in hospital with no way to pay.

That said, I will agree that no one gets hurt when any individual acts as a referring agent for an agreed upon amount or commission and is not sneakily trying to get rich at the expense of someone else. For example it is common to get one month's rent if you find a tenant for someone who owns property and they end up signing a one year lease. No one is hurt there. If a real estate agent charges 5% of the transaction and its known up front then no one is hurt. Lawyers will charge that too for simply drawing up some paperwork.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    basically I agree with your point of view, but at least, it is a moralistic point of view, imported from the western world. here, in south east asia, the rules are a little bit different. more than 50% of the population considers itself as poor, governments are corroded by coruption, that means "money rules" - which is also a common saying here in the philippines. one of the easiest ways to make some cash is dealing with us, the foreigners, searching for luck and love (and property), carrying a big wallet around. I find it not surprising that even your wife/gf tries to get a (secret) benefit from you, specially when you know that her family will always be the nr. 1 in her life and nobody else, even if you look like Brad Pitt and have money like George Soros - and I do not whine about that, I do not critizise that, for me tbis is simply a fact, a reality I have to deal with in a country full of poor people, greedy for money. so I try to take things in my own hand instead of relying on others, specially when it comes to big deals like buying property. be careful, watch closely, that's all I say. and if, like in your example, the foreigner is buying whatever and has no money anymore for the hospital, I would recommend him to be triple careful here or better try his luck in another place.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Koala

Koala DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 3
    Building and selling property in and around Dumaguete has been my business for the last 12 years now. I am a Carpenter and Joiner owner builder from auss. I sold my house and everything I owned in Aust and invested here. And it paid off. As a investor in Philippines Immigration granted me a Quota visa as I am not married to a Filipina. I have built 4 properties each over 500 sqm buildings. I am now finishing the 5th construction a 950 sqm 2 story town houses in Piapi behind Marina Spacial. All the properties the land has been in a Filipino's name and the building in my name. This last project I am living in one of the townhouses as I complete the last unit. the units completed are all rented out.
    Dumaguete has been good to me as a investor, I took a gamble and made it work.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    So far I am the one vote for the stranger walking up. It isn't a house purchase, but the land to build one. (My Filipino spouse, of course, will be the owner.) I had my car right there and free time, so I said sure I would like to see it (since it was in an area: Sagbang, Valencia) where we are interested anyway. He grabbed his friend (who I think is a relative) who "owned" the property and up the mountain we went. All of her (the owner) land was pretty much vertical, and I expressed no interest, so she pointed across the way from her vertical site to a beautiful 1.5 hectare grassy meadow much of which sat on top of a hill and was more-or-less horizontal. She said: "My cousins own that and it's also for sale." The deal is still pending, but we hired a respected real estate attorney in Dumaguete who is taking us through the (frustrating, daunting, mind-boggling, time-consuming) process. So, with a lawyer to make sure all the details are ironed out, I am happy that the stranger walked up to me. Our criteria to close will be getting a clean, unencumbered title for the lot and the right-of-way. Absent that, we will walk away from the deal.

• Informative Informative x 3