Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicles & Servicing Best Posts in Thread: Ford F150 or local pick up truck?

1. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    You could not give me a north american built truck here in this country. Parts are very hard to come by, more than 1 friend has had his "baby" sit for months waiting for what we could pick up in 10 minutes in any city or town back home. Stick with the brand name imports as they are plentiful, parts are available in most larger cities and their resale is reflected by the availability to access parts and service.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It is bad enough parking a small car in Dumaguete, so I would go for something that is smaller than an F150. Toyota,Nissan or Isuszu would be my choice, as there are dealerships here, so parts should be readily available. Mileage would be around <10 mpg. Go for a diesel 2/3 price of petrol and more mpg.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    But where are you going to put this power to use here, lol.......imo extra eyes are more benefit here than extra h.p :smile::smile::smile:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would go with a vehicle that can be easily repaired in Dumaguete. The crappy roads here really do a number on vehicles. It would be stressful to be without a vehicle for weeks or months for something minor that should be fixed in an hour. I have a CBR 1000RR and I am currently having problems getting parts....luckily I have a few other bikes to putt around on while I search for what I need.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Miguel

Miguel DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +109 / 39
    Remember back in days a Car Magazine wanted to run a Toyota Corolla Wagon 4wd round the world. They asked the local Toyota general agent what spare parts they should pack in. The Toyota guys said - no need any. They did all the continents and Toyota kept running. In Europe we like reliability :nurse:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Decide what specs you want from a pickup, 2 or 4 wheel drive, 2.5 0r 3.0 litres and get written quotes from each supplier. Then go to Cebu and buy it there, as vehicles on sale here tend to be more expensive than Cebu, using your written quotes as leverage. If you pay cash you can even get it cheaper, as you will not have to pay for the chattel mortgage paperwork, this is when you buy through a bank loan. Also, many manufacturers do promos, where they will give extras at no cost. When a new model comes out they will sell off the older models at discount. Do your homework before buying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    The white trucks that are being mentioned are Racal's, built out of country and quite cheap. Their storage depot is just 2km's north of Amlan on thee right hand side.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    I bought a mid 2000 Ford Escape and had some issues which needed parts which were not available here although the car was assembled in Philippines but Ford has closed their plant from what I've heard. Finally got parts from US and fixed, great car.
    Earlier this year bought a Bongo that was a new rebuild in Cebu. Four wheel drive, which I need, diesel, seats 3 uncomfortably. Pretty good truck, have had a number of electrical issues which local (Siquijor) repair people have resolved without much expense and fairly quickly. Over all pleased with Bongo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    A Hilux is probably going to be the best choice for a truck here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Honestly I would buy a Toyota lite ace, 4w drive, diesel, truck. The cab are large and comfortable for foreigners, They are holdup well with few problems, and if you do have a problem, you can get them repaired any place.

• Agree Agree x 1