1. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

Dear One and All:

Being here in the States, I contacted the phone numbers that THE DUDE posted and spoke briefly with Philip's Father.

THANK-YOU DUDE!

His Father said Philip's Mother is on-the-ground and is located somewhere near the Hospital.

Contact has been made with the VA (Manila) and with the US Embassy - details I do not know (NOMB) - but contact has been made by the family.

Two of Philip's friends from Washington State (US) are there as well as another family member.

Father reported that contact was made to them late Friday night (their time).

Father stated that Philip may be in coma for another 2-3 weeks - I did not press for details (NOMB).

On behalf of this website, I said all the expats here were pulling for his Son to recover.

Father sounded mentally/emotionally grounded - did not sound like he was falling apart - but could hear the worry in his voice.

I sent Father the very best from all the expats here, for which he seemed appreciative.

Thank-you DUDE for posting - you just never know - and I am glad to have heard his family got notified quickly and are actively on-the-ground near Phillip.

Father mentioned Phillip is involved in Journalism at the school.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Thanks Thanks x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    As Dustin and others mentioned, he was FU staff and on a work visa. It appears that today was his birthday. Amid noise over unwanted expats, Phil appears to be exactly the sort of expat the Philippines is looking for. Looking through his FB feed, he seems to have been involved in helping charities as well as teaching others his craft. He was a positive contributor to this country.

We have a number of lessons to take away from these recent deaths.

Don't jump to conclusions here. Hopefully facts will come out and justice will be served as necessary.

Stay safe. Drinking and driving isn't the only danger of alcohol. Driving and alcohol are two of the most risky factors we may have to deal with both here and at home (and for sure don't combine the two.) Avoid areas where there are large numbers of people getting highly intoxicated. Look for personalities of the locations you do visit. If the location has a reputation for fighting and an out of control environment, stay away. Look for heavy security in places which may be a high risk. We can point fingers all day long but our survival is in our hands.

Personally, I have been moving more towards getting my @ss home shortly after dark and avoiding even city events which draw large crowds. Getting up and out early has its own risk factors though. At 5 AM I still have to dodge drunk drivers when walking to get breakfast.

We're in the jungle. Stay alert. Stay alive.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As nwlivewire said, everyone that needs to be contacted is already in the know and everything is being handled by the appropriate authorities. If anyone has any first hand knowledge of what happened it should be directed to the police and not posted on the forum. Opinions on what happened and conjecture on this incident will not be welcome on the forum from this point on. Everyone is, of course, welcome to post their condolences and memories about Phil.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The guys name is Philip Prins, looks to be in his 30s, former US Army. Took a beer bottle to the head this weekend at a local disco and was taken to Provincial Hospital. I'm told he is in a "comma". He had an ID that showed he was a staff member at Foundation University and his i-card showed he was on a work visa.

I'm going to to try to get to the hospital tomorrow morning to verify he is still there and then see if the embassy can locate family/friends. If anyone knows the guy I'm sure information would be very helpful.

Screenshot_20151228-004152.png

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Sad news in deed but so good to know that members here did what they could.
    Adding condolences to the family & Friends also

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    nwlivewire Nice work. I guess we can close the case on this one as his ongoing medical status is also NOMB. Condolences to his friends and family. The initial news must have been quite the shock. I wish him a swift and full recovery.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is understandable that, given the nature of the thread, people will jump to the reply button before reading every post. I think at this point it is best to close the thread until more information is made public through the local media or released by the PNP. I know that his friends, family and the proper authorities are doing everything they can to get justice for Phil, let's let them do their job. If you have any information that would help the investigation I strongly urge you to push that information on to the Dumaguete PNP. I will open a thread in the Memoriam section for Phil so that people may express their condolences to the family and share any memories they have of the man.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thank-you for posting this Wrye83.

That is a way kewl thing to do!

I don't know the guy, but I sure hope he's comes out of it and his family is notified.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    Dustin said it right. Let this forum be a conduit to his family to express our condolences which is exactly what I am doing on behalf of myself and family. May he rest in peace....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    What sad news! I am so sorry to read this. His Father must be devastated - Mother too, of course.

I hope there is a full investigation to figure out what happened. This is just awful!

If this is true, may Phillip RIP.

And may justice be done....

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015