Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Best Posts in Thread: Foreigners and Expats, Economic progress think tank. Outside the box!

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have been coming to the Philippines since the mid 70's, now reside here permanently. I agree with you, but the issues you cite are the same ones that were prevalent in the 70's and have never improved. Along with the 'etc' I expect you mean a good water supply and a stable electrical supply, which has also been a problem for as long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+

you answered that right there yourself - in Europe or any other first world place you are an equal when competing with the locals in the land market. but here, opening up the market for foreign investment would be entirely unfair to the locals because they, with very few exceptions, are not at all able to bid over what any chinese, korean, european or american is able to pay.

Markets don't always produce fair results, in fact this is so by definition. Therefore, such things have to be regulated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Ah yes, another idea. Implement “Title Insurance” so that when relatives of the seller come out of the woodwork making ridiculous claims that they have ownership of the land via some extrajudicial settlement that was notarized by an attorney, and never recorded on the title, and sympathetic judges who favor nationals allow the claim, you are insured for the loss. Buying property here is very risky for newcomers. It is a risk many foreigners don’t want to take. This type of reform must accompany any allowance for foreigners to own small parcels of land, and if not, at least for Filipino spouses to purchase such property. Also, speed up the issuance of titles by at least 1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    It is very hard and lengthy to try and sell a house to a foreigner when he has put the investment in his “trusted” partner’s name, assuming a foreigner coming here has the funds to buy a house here. Took me over two years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1