Dumaguete Info Search

Foreigners may need a visa before entering the philippines

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Aug 10, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has recommended to the Department of Justice (DOJ) a non-extendable 30-day validity for visas issued to foreign nationals upon their arrival in the Philippines.

Bureau spokesperson Dana Sandoval said the BI has submitted its position to Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra after its operations team reviewed "possible weak points" of the visa upon arrival (VUA) policy

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/new...pl0hhgR4-RbKYXUANb2wCMzLD6GcRrJQabuMyNbqnb5T0

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Without seeing the bill, it is not possible to know the impact of this change. At worst, it could mean
    that no tourist could stay longer than 30 days period. They want long term stayers to go home, like the recent Thailand crackdown. That would send a lot of people here packing, who have been here a long time and depend on the very friendly policy of 36 total months extensions as “tourists”. But as for normal tourism itself, that is not such a big impact since most tourists would not plan to stay that long anyway. At best it could mean the pre-arrival visa is available for long term stayers and there may already be such a program in place for countries that do not have VOA here. I am not sure what they call that visa but in the US that is called a 6 month visitor visa and costs whatever amount the host country charges US citizens for visa’s into their countries. Anyway, it is understandable, the concern, and there is unnecessary all because the rumored bill is not available for inspection. And the bill might not impact the 1 year balikbayan visa since that is a special case a little beyond the realm of the BI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Catabisis

Catabisis DI Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +45 / 9
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That might anger Duterte since the Chinese are his love children

4. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Having read the proposed law (PL) (as several others have remarked already, this proposal might or might not materialise into an actual law), this is my take on the changes:
    1. The PL proposes a new government agency, the Commission on Immigration (CI) that will take over all duties from the current Bureau of Immigration (BI). Basically it is a reorganisation. The PL does provide for regional offices for the CI, so let's hope the Dumaguete office will survive.
    2. The PL does not mandate issuance of visa's overseas. The CI however may make such overseas visa's mandatory rather than optional for nationals of a particular country (but, as far as I know, that is nothing new either).
    It does not seem likely that the CI would choose to do so for visitors from countries that generate decent economic benefits for the Philippines from tourism (you don't want to deter tourists by making things hard), so most likely for most expats who are staying here on a tourist visa the issuance at the "port of entry" will not change.
    3. What will change (if the PL makes it into actual law unchanged) is the initial 30 days visa will go to 60 days.
    4. Under the PL extensions of tourist visa will still be available, but for a maximum of 24 months rather than the current 36.
    5. For those of us who married a Filipina, it will still be possible under the PL to gain permanent residence. Whether the current 13a visa and 12 months balikbayan stamp will survive is unclear.
    6. Apparently the current "Exit clearance" will be replaced by an "emigration clearance", that will apply to all temporary visitors. No mention is made of an exemption for those who stayed in the country for less than 6 months.
    7. If you leave the Philippines with the intention to return, the PL introduces a "re-entry fee", to be paid before you leave. Payment of that fee would ensure your "visa category" is maintained upon re-entry.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  5. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    will be applying for 13a in the coming months and would ask if I should postpone until this PL revealed in detail and time frame for passage ?

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Don't postpone or delay anything based off of proposed legislation...especially in the Philippines.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fritz

fritz DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +95 / 5
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Maybe, but hopefully it will kick out all the guys nobody wants to have them here - and that are a lot!
    I really hope they decide to let that work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It would be nice if they threw a financial requirement for a long term (over 6 months) "tourist" visa. Something like having more than (at least) 20k USD in a bank account. I'm sure that would take care of a lot of the "problems".

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    This is a great idea. All other countries I have visited required copies of bank statements to extend my tourist visa while in country.

10. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Sounds good but fraud sensitive; my opinion, unless they can check your real balance by inquiring @your bank. Any one who knows how Photoshop works can make what ever....!!